Insulation board question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you have 50mm insulation in roof does the inspection tray stay in or out during winter, my hives are all 2 foot off the ground ?

The inspection tray is only ever in when I feel the urge to count the mite drop.
ie - hardly ever.

Last autumn, I bought over 20m^2 of that type of expanded foam (some was coated on one side with a water/weather proof coating) for just over £50. While 100mm is likely more than necessary for a hive (because of the roof limitations) it will work. Necessary that the roof covers the crown board joint, to avoid ingress of water at that point.

20m^2 is seven sheets of 1200 x 2400mm. I managed to get about 7 1/2 sheets in or on my Saxo and had to give the rest away (about 3/4 of a sheet IIRC). It was all in 1200 x1200mm or 1200 x 600mm pieces. Likely ex high-rise building cladding!

It is now an extension to my workshop, inside a sectional concrete garage. Very cosy in the cold winter months and will be cooler in the summer, too.

Last edited:
Allot of interesting comments and answers.... I went to see the guy who had it and it had gone... I expected it to be at that price...

So.... Will look for some 50mm for my roofs. Last question, Do you cut it the same size as the inside of the roof so it's right tight fit. Do you cut to same size as crown board and sit it on top and roof over top?

Do you cut it the same size as the inside of the roof so it's right tight fit. Do you cut to same size as crown board and sit it on top and roof over top?

Same as the inside of the roof - fix it permanently in place so it stays on summer and winter

100mm would give better insulation that 50mm would it not?

No, because you have 4 walls too and the floor. 100 mm is not handy.

Old Swedish Nacka boxes have 20 mm poly wall and bees over winter in then as well as on modern 40 mm Wall boxes.

Last edited:
50 mm comes from the measure, that new poly boxes are 40 mm thick.
Condensation happens onto coldest surface. If you put 30 mm poly foam board, it starts to dribble water onto bee cluster.... Yeah.. I have seen.

50 mm is good to all hives.

I use 9 mm wood panel plus 50 - 70 mm foam plastic matress in insulation. It moves some moisture through the structure.

Last edited:
I salute you. You are able that complex thinking. Normally you have one sentence per answer.

I've stopped using the poly hive roofs much prefer ability to chuck a brick or block on insulated metal roofs most poly roofs are thin anyhoo

Impossible to nurse such heap of styrofoam boards.

In Finland bees stand 7 months Winter in polyboxes and food is enough for 9 months. Why to add more unpractical covers.

Our Winter is something else than in British isles.

I've stopped using the poly hive roofs much prefer ability to chuck a brick or block on insulated metal roofs most poly roofs are thin anyhoo

I use bricks on some of my poly roofs - nucs (home made). Usually with a small plank of wood to spread the load. All my roofs are at least 100mm thick..

The rest I strap down..

Latest posts

Back