Insulation board question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've been offered enough non foiled kingspal/celotex type insulation to complete all insulation in my hive roofs for £10.

This is 100mm thick, will this be too thick for a std roof or ok? I have mix of std and deep roofs.

Thanks simon

I find 1” fits into a 4” roof inside the batten with 100mm you won’t have any roof left but you can always try a bit and rebate it into the batten on deeper roofs. Simple answer is get a couple of bits and try and sort something out. Personally prefer the foil lined though as it’s harder wearing

Last edited:
I've been offered enough non foiled kingspal/celotex type insulation to complete all insulation in my hive roofs for £10.

This is 100mm thick, will this be too thick for a std roof or ok? I have mix of std and deep roofs.

Thanks simon

The shallow roof is 100 mil deep !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I find 1” fits into a 4” roof inside the batten with 100mm you won’t have any roof left but you can always try a bit and rebate it into the batten on deeper roofs. Simple answer is get a couple of bits and try and sort something out. Personally prefer the foil lined though as it’s harder wearing

If you put insulation into the roof, you don't need the battens - or the vents. In fact, if you are a thinking beekeeper and don't leave gaping holes in your crownboard you don't need them whether you insulate or not.

Thanks simon

Get them......and replace your wooden roofs with Abelo ones

If you put insulation into the roof, you don't need the battens - or the vents. In fact, if you are a thinking beekeeper and don't leave gaping holes in your crownboard you don't need them whether you insulate or not.

I did not say anything about requiring battens or ventilation most of mine are well a truly sealed up by the bees but with a good scrape are easily prepared for transport, and there’s certainly no top vents in any poly boxes purchased from a certain Scots gentleman back in 07

Replace your wooden roofs with abelo poly roofs and no need to worry about further insulation.
A tenner is a good deal but 100mm is too thick for practical use, IMO.

Replace your wooden roofs with abelo poly roofs and no need to worry about further insulation.

A tenner is a good deal but 100mm is too thick for practical use, IMO.

Ok for making a honey warming cabinet [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

How deep are the abelo roofs the fist lot I purchased had very little overlap when used with a standard crown board. They certainly could have done with a extra 20mm or so in particular when mixing with standard equipment

With wooden boxes anything thicker than 25mm PIR on the crown does not make a significant improvement in thermal conductance.This is because the top of the sidewall losses then predominate. However, thicker does no harm so if its free....

So if you have 50mm insulation in roof does the inspection tray stay in or out during winter, my hives are all 2 foot off the ground ?

With wooden boxes anything thicker than 25mm PIR on the crown does not make a significant improvement in thermal conductance.This is because the top of the sidewall losses then predominate. However, thicker does no harm so if its free....

Agreed that’s why I am happy just to put the 1” in the top of roof in batten surrounds as you are only as good as your weakest point, fits snuggly in there as well

How deep are the abelo roofs the fist lot I purchased had very little overlap when used with a standard crown board. They certainly could have done with a extra 20mm or so in particular when mixing with standard equipment
The Abelo national roofs are about a super's depth overlap even with their crown-board inserted. Always have been.
The only "short" roofs I can recall were the original Paynes roof. These were quickly replaced with replaced with a slightly deeper one

So if you have 50mm insulation in roof does the inspection tray stay in or out during winter, my hives are all 2 foot off the ground ?

I have 100mm roof insulation, 50mm side wall cosies and inspection trays in all winter. My hives are 40cm off the ground on grass. I experimented and found hives with no inspection boards lost more bees and used more stores in winter and built up more slowly in spring. In closed floor hives, brood in April was down to within roughly 5cm of comb bottoms. In open floors within roughly 12cms or larger.

I have converted half my hives to solid insulated floors - and see differences as above. Condensation in solid floors? Nope.. (Insulation)

Basically all the arguments pro OMF are because many users were in wooden hives with condensation issues.

I do , however, have open floors of my cell starter/raiser colony - 2 x 5 frame Lang jumbo nucs with QE and Cloake board.Some bees were overnighting outside due to the heat, and the need to keep brood cool... and the lack of space. They did not swarm... I don't tolerate swarmy bees.

Last edited:
I did not say anything about requiring battens or ventilation most of mine are well a truly sealed up by the bees but with a good scrape are easily prepared for transport, and there’s certainly no top vents in any poly boxes purchased from a certain Scots gentleman back in 07

I didn't say you had - just making an observation to help others, it saves some work if you're making up flat packed roofs, and the 'left over' battens come in handy for other jobs, I even put the roofs together with the indent bit on the roof sides meant as a vent on the inside not the outside so the roofs look tidier.

The Abelo national roofs are about a super's depth overlap even with their crown-board inserted. Always have been.
The only "short" roofs I can recall were the original Paynes roof. These were quickly replaced with replaced with a slightly deeper one

Hi bf my originals where the poly national produced by swienty and a certain Scottish heather bloke over 10 years ago still going strong but roof rebate only about 11/2” hence the reason for asking. I would not touch the original stuff I saw from paines or park in the early days of poly as it was little better than kingsman. I once saw a guy and his wife carrying kingspan nucs out from the spring conference I went and suggested they take them back lol that went down well

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back