inspections and outside temperatures.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumber rob

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
probably a silly question but at what temps would you not open the hive for an inspection eg too cold, or even too hot.

thanks in advance

In Hoopers he recommends no combs to be removed from the brood nest below 10 oC ( 50 oF ) He says colonies can be opened at any time when over 17 oC ( 62 oF ), anything in between, be as swift as possible and only do what's neccessary.

I would only inspect if the bees are flying.

Far too many wasps at my apiary for inspections.

Have you tried Victors method of keeping wasps out?

ie

Make a tunnel from mesh with just two bee spaces, worked wonders for a friend and myself.

I would only inspect if the bees are flying.

Far too many wasps at my apiary for inspections.

A wasp flew in at an inspection when our mentor was there. It just flew inside the opened hive! I was livid! :cuss: I really hate them, more than ever. He wasn't that bothered and said one wasn't a problem, but I wanted it squished. Cheeky little *@#"$**

A wasp flew in at an inspection when our mentor was there. It just flew inside the opened hive! I was livid! :cuss: I really hate them, more than ever. He wasn't that bothered and said one wasn't a problem, but I wanted it squished. Cheeky little *@#"$**

I have taken to having my auto gas lighter with me,(A plumbers gas torch) and "shooting" the buggers. Gives me a great deal of pleasure.:)

They don't stay still long enough for me, I'd end up cooking a few bees in the process. Even stamping on them is hard enough.

They don't stay still long enough for me, I'd end up cooking a few bees in the process. Even stamping on them is hard enough.

Why do you want to stamp on bees? If you don't want them, feel free to pass them over!

Not the bees......the wasps :p I spent many an hour trying to squash a few when they first started trying to bother our bees

Its like "The gunfight at te OK corral" round my hives. :)

Its like "The gunfight at te OK corral" round my hives. :)

You must be a good shot......I'm afraid I'd be a bit Basil Fawlty and end up being attacked while I curl up in a ball. Our mentor just stomped on a wasp and a bee having a battle. I can only assume he thought the bee was dead anyway, but still, I wait until the wasp is nowhere near the bee. Maybe that's where I am going wrong lol :banghead:

Latest posts

Back