Inspection tray under omf

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a bit of advice needed on what every one else does??? Ive got a national hive and have still got inspection tray in place under omf should i take it out???:

The tray is only supposed to be left in for mite monitoring/treating. I leave mine out only time they are in is during apiguard treatment.
You will now get some one else saying the opposite of course but thats bee keeping for you lol.

Thought you took it out for ventilation. Ours is out.

Last edited:
I might part-insert it in these very cold conditions, but it is there for adequate ventilation from the bottom. With a 14 x 12 or a National brood and super, no real need at all as bees can move higher, if necessary; in a single standard brood, I'm not so sure.

All of my 14 x 12s have open OMFs.

So your tray needs removing for our normal UK weather but perhaps only partially removing for this exceptionally cold spell. All of the above is providing you do not have top ventilation. Top ventilation could change my views on your hives, but not greatly - only in that it is not required.

Regards, RAB

Mine is a national hive from th----s , single standard brood will take rabs advice and partially remove while its so cold then take out completly when warms up a bit

Mine is a national hive from th----s , single standard brood will take rabs advice and partially remove while its so cold then take out completly when warms up a bit

Just to clarify- when RAB talks about top ventilation, he's referring to either something (eg matchsticks) propping up the crownboard to deliberately create ventilation, or the feed hole left open, rather than something built-in to the hive. Both of these have been traditionally done with solid floors, to prevent condensation.

However if you have ventilation top and bottom, this creates too much through draught. The current consensus is open OMF and no ventilation at the top, with the option of insulation on top of the crownboard.

Just to clarify- when RAB talks about top ventilation, he's referring to either something (eg matchsticks) propping up the crownboard to deliberately create ventilation, or the feed hole left open, rather than something built-in to the hive. Both of these have been traditionally done with solid floors, to prevent condensation.

However if you have ventilation top and bottom, this creates too much through draught. The current consensus is open OMF and no ventilation at the top, with the option of insulation on top of the crownboard.

:iagree:

but slight variation in that most of my stands have 150mm skirts on them ,which is the equivalent of a super under the the brood box, just to stop draughts

I leave mine in, but then I am on a windy site and tend to worry about the drafts.

I have one old roof, where the ventilation slots are propolised up. On checking this week I notice that there was a lot of moisture on the underside of the roof.

Must clean the ventilators - it shows how much moisture a colony gives off even in the winter.

Mine are in at the moment, mainly because I was doing a post Apiguard mite drop check and was going to take them out last Tuesday but 20" of snow scuppered that.

I will take them out when the snow clears sufficiently.

We have the feeder above an open hole in the CB, we put the fondant in it because it was, well, squished about by the time it got to me lol, the mentor made it himself. With the OMF open, will that make a difference? It's a flat plastic type feeder and completely covers the hole. Any advice cos I'm going down at some point this week to see if any bees are packed behind the mouse guard. We have a board up too btw, just in time really for the blizzard here.

Back