Inspection spreadsheet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Had a quiet evening so thought I'd finally finish off this spreadsheet. It works through Google docs and so is linked to my Google drive. That means it automatically saves to the cloud every time it's changed.

The format is based around the bbka inspection record but I've created drop down menus for most of the columns barring date, honey production and notes.

This means that I can easily use a stylus on my tablet to quickly tap data in without getting the screen covered.

As it's a spreadsheet I can also harvest data from each colony to look at queen selection and apiary averages etc.

My records stay with the queen so the apiary and hive number are also drop down menus as well. IMG_20201024_184403.jpg

How do you keep the propolis etc off the tablet when using it in the apiary?

How do you keep the propolis etc off the tablet when using it in the apiary?
That's why I've adapted the spreadsheet to use a stylus. The hope is that keeping the tablet in a case and using a stylus will negate or substantially reduce any need to touch the screen.

That's why I've adapted the spreadsheet to use a stylus. The hope is that keeping the tablet in a case and using a stylus will negate or substantially reduce any need to touch the screen.
Good luck with that ... I've found that propolis gets everywhere and the things it gravitates to most are phones and cameras .... I suppose that you can wash a stylus in a bucket of washing soda but I would worry about the tablet ....and its case.... and jts screen ...

I’ve mentioned this on a previous thread: I use an app on my phone. Any propolis on the phone can just be wiped off easily.
PS: The casing is plastic. I suppose a leather casing might be a bit more vulnerable.

I use a similar spreadsheet, find it invaluable. I have tabs for goals for the year, learning, honey yields, winter feeding summaries, queen rearing timetables across apiaries etc. I know a bit anal but I love analysis!
I take a small hardbacked notebook that I pre rule to fill in the data then transpose onto the spready on my Mac back home.

Know it means doing twice but I quickly fill in key numbers & keep some of the notes in my head then fill it in more thoroughly that evening. The notebook is covered in propolis & washing soda by the end of the year and my Mac stays in pukka condition!

Elaine

Had a quiet evening so thought I'd finally finish off this spreadsheet. It works through Google docs and so is linked to my Google drive. That means it automatically saves to the cloud every time it's changed.

The format is based around the bbka inspection record but I've created drop down menus for most of the columns barring date, honey production and notes.

This means that I can easily use a stylus on my tablet to quickly tap data in without getting the screen covered.

As it's a spreadsheet I can also harvest data from each colony to look at queen selection and apiary averages etc.

My records stay with the queen so the apiary and hive number are also drop down menus as well. View attachment 22723
I see the column headed “run” is for movement on the comb, not movement of the beekeeper!🤪
Impressive and I must do something similar for next year. Good one.

If I was inclined to write records onto a phone or computer at the hive side I would just find/buy a suitably plasticy cheap second hand model and use it expressly for that purpose. It hasn't got to run much in the way of apps. and if its capable of taking the odd photo then thats a bonus, as long as it can hold info and is able to talk/share to another machine thats it. Of course you can also get proper covers for tablets etc which are designed for use in odd "gunngy" situations.

This
If I was inclined to write records onto a phone or computer at the hive side I would just find/buy a suitably plasticy cheap second hand model and use it expressly for that purpose. It hasn't got to run much in the way of apps. and if its capable of taking the odd photo then thats a bonus, as long as it can hold info and is able to talk/share to another machine thats it. Of course you can also get proper covers for tablets etc which are designed for use in odd "gunngy" situations.
This is essentially what I plan to do. A cheap tablet that I can hotspot to my phone to upload to the cloud.

I use a similar spreadsheet, find it invaluable. I have tabs for goals for the year, learning, honey yields, winter feeding summaries, queen rearing timetables across apiaries etc. I know a bit anal but I love analysis!
I take a small hardbacked notebook that I pre rule to fill in the data then transpose onto the spready on my Mac back home.

Know it means doing twice but I quickly fill in key numbers & keep some of the notes in my head then fill it in more thoroughly that evening. The notebook is covered in propolis & washing soda by the end of the year and my Mac stays in pukka condition!

Elaine
@BigAshW and Elaine - I think you are both taking this too far! I also think I would fit right in with you both 😁😁😁 and will end up attempting (and probably failing) to produce something equally comprehensive. 😎😎😎

@BigAshW and Elaine - I think you are both taking this too far! I also think I would fit right in with you both 😁😁😁 and will end up attempting (and probably failing) to produce something equally comprehensive. 😎😎😎
Here’s shots of some of my spreadsheets, might expand further next season to take on board some of BigAsh headings
1.Overall summary of colony performance for the year
2.Example record card by colony. Won’t attempt to explain my abbreviations but you’ll get the gist
3.How I record and keep tabs on winter feeding
4.Queen rearing timetable With key dates & what to do when

What was that about needing a psychologist 🤣 Works for me🐝

Attachments

• 24CDD899-61C0-440A-A904-0F655D0F6A0B.jpeg
    24CDD899-61C0-440A-A904-0F655D0F6A0B.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 553565EE-3F93-4BDD-95AA-2D00E271E7F8.jpeg
    553565EE-3F93-4BDD-95AA-2D00E271E7F8.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 47
  • BF5A4540-5000-415C-A0D7-54B02C0988ED.jpeg
    BF5A4540-5000-415C-A0D7-54B02C0988ED.jpeg
    290 KB · Views: 43
  • 2897B6AD-643B-4801-9F7F-AD02B612A52C.jpeg
    2897B6AD-643B-4801-9F7F-AD02B612A52C.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 38
Here’s shots of some of my spreadsheets, might expand further next season to take on board some of BigAsh headings
1.Overall summary of colony performance for the year
2.Example record card by colony. Won’t attempt to explain my abbreviations but you’ll get the gist
3.How I record and keep tabs on winter feeding
4.Queen rearing timetable With key dates & what to do when

What was that about needing a psychologist 🤣 Works for me🐝
Plus example of a page from my trusty apiary notebook - note the propolis!

Attachments

• 8855176D-C4BD-4712-890B-7065A1FAB979.jpeg
    8855176D-C4BD-4712-890B-7065A1FAB979.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back