inspecting colony today and q flew off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i had seen her on an earlier frame which id left with gaps between others to know where she is should i need to find her

found 2-3 supersedure cells and this was lower bb of a demaree, so thought id move q plus 2 frames BIAS plus the supersedure cells into a nuc to take to another apiary and leave the UBB of the demaree on this stand to raise a new q

as i lifted the frame with q and was holding it with her in centre (it was quite sunny) and in reaching for clip....she went....over the fence into set aside field surrounding garden

wasnt sure if just to leave them in there cluster on a bramble and let them make their own way back...this q hadnt been on the site she flew from on mating flight so wasnt sure she'd know way back

so, shook them into a nuc box and seemed to work...left on QE entrance and they've all moved into that box...now need to find her again and get her into the nuc

correct action?

i dont think so....i usually struggle to tell difference but this actually was 2-3 on face of comb in a lower brood box with 3 frames bias and empty drawn and undrawn foundation in bottom box of demaree

i put it down to me being a bit vigorous with the frame she was on as i reached for clip...and i was holding it in full sun

Those would be swarm cells, then?
I agree - Any queen cell is potentially a swarm cell ... If I find more than one queen cell in any colony I assume they are going to swarm ... There's a lot of nonsense talked about position of queen cells relating to whether they are swarm or supercedure cells and you can't rely on position to tell you anything apart from the fact you have found a queen cell.

If in doubt ... AS is always the best course of action, you can always combine them if needs be.

I agree - Any queen cell is potentially a swarm cell ... If I find more than one queen cell in any colony I assume they are going to swarm ... There's a lot of nonsense talked about position of queen cells relating to whether they are swarm or supercedure cells and you can't rely on position to tell you anything apart from the fact you have found a queen cell.

If in doubt ... AS is always the best course of action, you can always combine them if needs be.

agree....i nuc'd the queen in the end and moved her to another apiary!

Latest posts

Back