Insects late in the season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
On another thread I've been moaning that my hives are still being harassed by wasps. However they're not the only insects about. This morning I saw a hummingbird hawk-moth on one of our Salvias. It had moved on by the time I got my camera. Splendid creatures.
Humming-bird Hawk-moth
Two days ago I saw this red admiral on a Choisya in my apiary:

Attachments

• EB16F1F9-CBDC-4C38-AC4A-E05FF4F17A01.jpeg
    EB16F1F9-CBDC-4C38-AC4A-E05FF4F17A01.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
On another thread I've been moaning that my hives are still being harassed by wasps. However they're not the only insects about. This morning I saw a hummingbird hawk-moth on one of our Salvias. It had moved on by the time I got my camera. Splendid creatures.
Humming-bird Hawk-moth
Two days ago I saw this red admiral on a Choisya in my apiary:
Hi Amari,
I‘ve noticed the same here in North Dorset. Still have wasps (fortunately on the ivy), but also odd butterflies and still some bumble bees!
I envy you the hbhm - I love to watch them.
All in all it continues to be a very odd year.

Maybe not pollinators but about 50% of all the roofs of my hives have vast colonies of woodlice in them this year. I've always had them but this seems a bumper season for them in my apiaries.

Attachments

• IMG_51.jpg
    IMG_51.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
Maybe not pollinators but about 50% of all the roofs of my hives have vast colonies of woodlice in them this year. I've always had them but this seems a bumper season for them in my apiaries.
Yes I have more woodlice than bees too

The underside of our hive lids are stuffed with ladybirds this year. Many squished, sadly. Earwigs and woodlice also present in numbers.

Woodlice are not insects but crustaceans and have 7 pairs of legs. They need humid environment to survive as their cuticle not as impervious as that found in insects. Some species of wodlice can withstand dehydration better than others so can use as indicator species of the % Relative humidity within the hive roof.

Same here. Oxalic vape makes them leave in a hurry, but they soon return it seems.

Woodlice need humid environment to survive ........Some species of wodlice can withstand dehydration better than others so can use as indicator species of the % Relative humidity within the hive roof.
Ah that explains why I have none under my roofs

Woodlice are not insects but crustaceans and have 7 pairs of legs. They need humid environment to survive as their cuticle not as impervious as that found in insects. Some species of wodlice can withstand dehydration better than others so can use as indicator species of the % Relative humidity within the hive roof.
I love it when I learn some new snippets of info. :)

I love it when I learn some new snippets of info. :)
What did the snail say to the woodlouse as it walked past?

”Nice pair of legs, pair of legs, pair of legs, pair of legs, pair of legs, pair of legs, pair of legs.......

Can't say I've seen a holiday camp full of lice like that under any of my hive roofs though a few or a dozen or so, along with the wigs and spids.

I've also seen red admiral in the last few days, also Euro hornet on the last remnants of ivy. An abundance of Q wasps under my rooves....or is it roofs, these days.....? Am I showing my extreme age???🧓)

Latest posts

Back