Inherited Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the local Bee inspector should be invited to have a look and give an opinion. They are all experienced beekeepers and have the backup to do any necessary treatment. Shore up the "Leg" ASAP The girls I have don't go out much in the rain so you might not have to wait until bedtime. I find activity is very temperature dependant. Now the sun is lower you may find early morning or late afternoon is ok to shore it up with a brick or some such. Do get in touch with the local association they will have the number of the inspectors in your area. They may also run courses and have association hives for practical sessions which can be great for learning and giving confidence in handling.

Thanks again Ashley for today. Really enjoyed opening up the hives and starting to get to know what's what (obviously still with very much to learn!) and I really appreciate your very knowledgable help. The fact that only 4 of the original 6 hives remain present/active means that it's slightly less daunting than originally thought. It was good to get a couple of early stings notched up too!

Thats no problem at all Matt was a pleasure to help you out and it's alway good to get the first few zaps out of the way!
You'll do just fine with those next year.
As I said if need owt just give me a bell but I'll ring you in the next week or so to see how the feeding is going and make a bit more of a plan as to whats next on ''the list''.
All the best

Ashley

Two empties is a positive. Very handy to have the spare kit as will VERY rapidly become apparent. ;)

PH

MattK,
Good on you for having a go.
I have a feeling this will turn into the beek equivalent of big brother.
How about "hiveCam"?

Finally getting around to uploading a few photos as requested. These were taken after the initial clearing just to get near to them.

Ha Ha those pics don't do justice as to just how over grown they were.
I've got some bits and pieces for you here Matt, 4 crown boards and 2 lids just to see you through the winter. How did you get on with feeders ect?
Ashley

That sounds good Ashley, thanks! I've got feeders and mouse guards on the way - I'm hoping they'll be here by the end of the week so I can get the feed on. The bees were very active for a couple of days after we split the hives, especially the last but one we opened, loads of bees crawling around on the front and flying around above. Not sure how they are today as I'm up north for a couple of days for work.

Good luck with yours new bees Matt great hobby as i have found out this year. I'm sure you will enjoy it,and i thought my allotment was overgrown when i took it on.

Latest posts

Back