Inefficiency.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just seen on the news about the long waiting times in hospitals, nearly all hospitals, but in this case it was the Perth royal infirmary with waiting times being from four to twelve hours, went there myself about 45 years ago and there was no long waiting time at all back then, so much for progress, seems like a lot of things are more backward now than they were years ago.

I believe the major problem nowadays is computers, but mainly mobile phones, especially those that can access the internet.

There are 10 million more of us, living 20 years longer. It takes its toll.

If you're over 65 today the NHS of the 1970s would have probably not been able to keep you alive for another five years.

So should be even more efficient, not less.

Remove the mobile phones and we would be for sure.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a mobile phone waiting for treatment in A&E.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a mobile phone waiting for treatment in A&E.

Make no mistake...they are everywhere, holding things up, preventing work being done, in years to come people will end up with eyes the same size as moles eyes, and only able to see objects three inches away.

Last edited:
I believe the major problem nowadays is computers, but mainly mobile phones, especially those that can access the internet.

I think it has more to do with Political interference from people who know nothing about medicine. Politicians just love to meddle in things they know nothing about (they have done the same thing in schools - just look at the mess Mr Gove made of the education system!).
Things would be far better if the politicians would keep out of things and leave it to those who have experience of an area. They don't know better. They're just looking for a way to advance their own career with a meaningless "sound bite".

Last edited:
Make no mistake...they are everywhere, holding things up, preventing work being done, in years to come people will end up with eyes the same size as moles eyes, and only able to see objects three inches away.

I've seen those people, they also lose the power of speech - only able to say 'uh' when you ask them a question.

My dear son is a senior manager covering 3 major London hospitals. He has a department with 8 staff that deal with complaints and concerns from patients and public. Two days ago a Tory MP made a formal complaint that one of his constituents had their minor op appointment cancelled. It was explained to the MP that it was his governments policy to cancel due the foreseen winter crisis in the NHS!!
S

Just seen on the news about the long waiting times in hospitals, nearly all hospitals, but in this case it was the Perth royal infirmary with waiting times being from four to twelve hours, went there myself about 45 years ago and there was no long waiting time at all back then, so much for progress, seems like a lot of things are more backward now than they were years ago.

As demand outstips supply we are simply going to see our commissioners drawing up more EUR or effective use of resources strategies. Treatment is simply not going to be available for a whole host of conditions and disorders deemed low priority. That should bring the wait down- a bit.

I believe that treatment and provision of care is more efficient than ever. The issue is a lack of front line employed staff so Bank staff and Locums are required to fill the rolls at 3 times the cost.
There is more expenditure on management in the NHS than on care givers so go figure. I am not saying all management is bad but a lot is unnecessary.
I heard it costs more to pay litigation insurance related to delivering a baby than the actual cost of delivering the baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol to moles that say "uh" I know a few of them, but it's not their fault the NHS is being deliberately and systematically run down in order for it to be asset stripped and fat cat's to get even fatter as a private health care bonanza is rolled out by the wankers in charge of our lovely country. Not just the tories, the funding wasn't properly addressed under Blair and Brown either.

My former neighbours were both in their 80s.#

The husband was diagnosed with dementia 6-7 years ago,his wife could not care for him so he ended up with carers to wash dress and give him breakfast, ditto lunch, and feed , wash and put him to bed in the evening. He ended up on multiple medications, was incapable of holding a rational conversation and was bedridden. He died.

During this time , his wife dropped 25% in weight so she looked like a refugee from Belsen, had multiple visits to hospitals and ended up paranoid. She is now in a care home.

Thirty years ago both would have died long before hand.

That is why the NHS is struggling - many elderly requiring frequent trips to hospital , massive drug taking - usually cocktails with one drug to treat the main symptoms of the illness and three others to treat the side effects - and coupled with a number of people who suffer from self inflicted illnesses they refuse to address personally - alcoholism, obesity and often diabetes as a result.Don't start me on the drug takers.

#I used to do part of their shopping, taxi to hospital etc as any neighbour would so am familiar with the issues from second hand.

The NHS should prevent many of their consultants and surgeons from moonlighting and having 2 jobs, one with the NHS the other with a private practice. It would free up more time to treat NHS patients.
They should also ensure all NHS facilities are used solely for NHS patients. Many departments allow private treatments using NHS facilities. As in NHS use morning, private practice afternoon.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...itals-treatment-work-government-a7974096.html
Happens all over the country, private medicine should have to provide ALL their own facilities.

I don't know enough about the NHS to wade into that discussion, but I do believe that Hivemaker is onto something; trends in the way we now communicate - including smart devices, social media - can be damaging to productivity. And I say this as a user, who benefits from the advantages of technology (e.g. instant navigation to anywhere, with real-time consideration of traffic situation, train cancellations etc. Many more examples).

On thing I have observed is that instant notifications (twitter, tapatalk, news, facebook) are very distracting. I'm turning them off.

On thing I have observed is that instant notifications (twitter, tapatalk, news, facebook) are very distracting. I'm turning them off.

I used to have emails delivered straight to my phone. Then I realised that the majority of them were work-related and I was working day and night, even when I was not supposed to be "at work". So much for the working time directive......I deactivated emails on my phone.
On the subject of the NHS: wasn't it Margaret Thatcher who first said (later repeated by David Cameron) "The NHS is safe in our hands"? Well, I came across this (http://www.hospitaldr.co.uk/blogs/tom-goodfellow/what-was-thatchers-legacy-for-the-nhs) - this guy seems to have a pretty good handle on it.

Lol to moles that say "uh" I know a few of them, but it's not their fault the NHS is being deliberately and systematically run down in order for it to be asset stripped and fat cat's to get even fatter as a private health care bonanza is rolled out by the wankers in charge of our lovely country. Not just the tories, the funding wasn't properly addressed under Blair and Brown either.

:iagree:

Not just the tories, the funding wasn't properly addressed under Blair and Brown either.

I thought Blair was! - a Tory that is
Brown was just a bumbling buffoon

I've used both private and NHS the difference is staggering.
Recently I saw a consultant privately and everything was sorted quickly and efficiently, MRI done results a week later. Medication sorted and his secretary at the end of the phone if anything needed sorting out with the medication as it isn't a nice tablet to be on.
Then it all went wrong as the BUPA plan wouldn't cover me anymore so I was passed to the NHS.

I waited to see what I expected to be a consultant on the NHS for months.
I tried ringing the department to find out what to take with me and was met with some very rude female on the phone.
Ended up seeing a registrar, took my scans with me on a dvd but he couldn't open them on the computer, he had no idea what he was talking about and no idea what to do but he knew the consultant I had seen already. The GP had sent him no information and I hadn't taken any letters from the previous consultant but I told him everything I had been told.
So without seeing my scans or having any background on my condition he made a serious decision based on how I looked on the day and signed me off.

Back to waiting for another appointment to see another consultant now after complaining through PALS and getting the GP who is also inept to refer me again. He referred me to the wrong department lol. I had to sort that out.

In the mean time my appointment at the pain clinic has also been cancelled and bumped to May. Not bad I was referred in September. But they have sent me a lovely letter saying sorry and I'm on the cancellation list.
It's ok I quite like the pain it's like an old friend now.

The BUPA consultant found that I had suffered a serious stroke and a minor one both caused by a rare form of Migraine, I still get the Migraines because the medication isn't sorted out but because the NHS is still rearranging the paperclips I'm in limbo.

The NHS varies greatly some departments are great and others are terrible.
This hospital the hand and wrist clinic is fantastic but the neurology department is a bloody shambles.

There are 10 million more of us, living 20 years longer. It takes its toll.

If you're over 65 today the NHS of the 1970s would have probably not been able to keep you alive for another five years.

One A&E claimed they only had a few more people than whichever year, yet the waiting times were x4.

There are hospitals managing beds very well. I think this needs looking at to find out what actions are being taken at these places and share the good practice.

My former neighbours were both in their 80s.#

The husband was diagnosed with dementia 6-7 years ago,his wife could not care for him so he ended up with carers to wash dress and give him breakfast, ditto lunch, and feed , wash and put him to bed in the evening. He ended up on multiple medications, was incapable of holding a rational conversation and was bedridden. He died.

During this time , his wife dropped 25% in weight so she looked like a refugee from Belsen, had multiple visits to hospitals and ended up paranoid. She is now in a care home.

Thirty years ago both would have died long before hand.

That is why the NHS is struggling - many elderly requiring frequent trips to hospital , massive drug taking - usually cocktails with one drug to treat the main symptoms of the illness and three others to treat the side effects - and coupled with a number of people who suffer from self inflicted illnesses they refuse to address personally - alcoholism, obesity and often diabetes as a result.Don't start me on the drug takers.

#I used to do part of their shopping, taxi to hospital etc as any neighbour would so am familiar with the issues from second hand.

If this were Thailand, friends, family and neighbours would be looking after each other. After spending some time over there I don’t think the West has any improved way of life at all. Society is certainly more unhappy. So much for progression. Progression for the rich elites maybe

Latest posts

Back