Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
- the Co-Op tried to give away a £100,000 research grant to every UK University research department, for research into the effects of pesticides on bees. Only ONE dept. agreed, and they required that their identity was not revealed for fear that they would lose their core funding from a certain pharmaceutical company......

justme 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Sad way of the world, better place this planet would be without so called civilisation. (I would say humans but I'd not feel safe:.(!!!!

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
MB,

You are doubting brosville's word?

I am too, but only that I am sure the CO-OP was trying to give away a total of 100 grand in one or more packages, not a hundred grand to every uni!( depends on how one reads the wording).

Several 'chicken-feed' offers (like an equal share of the one hundred grand divided by the number of Uni's) may have meant it was not a worthy amount for a good investigation, or it may be that the same one hundred grand was offered as a single entity, successively, to each Uni in the land, I know not. If it was a single grant of that value then it stands to reason why only one Uni got it! First accepted got the lot!

So, a few more explanitory details are required, I think.

RAB

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I am interested in who advised them regards who got the funding and what the research is,Bros ?

psafloyd 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Probably about 5/6 at the moment
- the Co-Op tried to give away a £100,000 research grant to every UK University research department, for research into the effects of pesticides on bees. Only ONE dept. agreed, and they required that their identity was not revealed for fear that they would lose their core funding from a certain pharmaceutical company......
The Co-Op was supposedly extending its Plan Bee from Manchester to London in 2010, but what came of it? Bugger all. That despite me contacting group comms and angling for a space as a journalist who wanted to document the plight of bees/get trained in keeping them.

Will have to chase that up...AGAIN.

:beatdeadhorse5:

fatshark 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Just to follow up the comment by olive90owner ... £100,000 does not go far in a modern research lab. It would almost pay for two PhD. students for three years each ... but would not be sufficient to pay for any 'consumables' (i.e. reagents) to do experiments with. For comparison, a typical three year research grant to fund cutting-edge studies involving molecular biology or biochemistry would cost about £500,000 to fund. The recent Insect Pollinators Initiative awarded grants around the £1M mark. Field studies or mathematical modelling may be less expensive of course.

--
fatshark

Chris B 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
They must be delighted with all the positive publicity at the Co-op. Offering loads of cash but not actually needing to part with it. Genius.

Latest posts