Incubator Questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.b.nuttz

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I am going to get a new incubator to hatch my queen cells in and wondered if anyone had any recommendations on which one to get but I also want it to incubate some eggs in it as well.

Also when transferring the Queen cells to the incubator are they best laid horizontal or kept vertical as in the hive?

Regards Gerry

Banbury incubators sell a very good fan assisted incubator for £150,they also sell a smaller one for around £80 but not really big enough.Niether of these have auto egg turning,re bird eggs.
Allways keep the cells upright,as they would be in the hive.

Banbury incubators sell on e bay,or direct from there web site.the one i use is the new banbury cross 36. plus i use a large curfew incubator.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Banbury-Cross-Incubators

http://www.banburycrossincubators.c...incubators_com.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=2786929

Last edited:
Always keep the cells vertical, as orientated on the comb.

Why use an incubator when using a super and some cages works the same if not better?

Remember KISS. Keep it simple silly.

PH

Always keep the cells vertical, as orientated on the comb.

Why use an incubator when using a super and some cages works the same if not better?

Remember KISS. Keep it simple silly.

PH

just want to use one hive for queen rearing and if i put the first ones in the incubator when sealed i can put the next lot of grafts into the hive earlier

Last edited:
I put them into the incubator five days after grafting,then do another set of grafts, have put sealed cells in cages in supers before and lost the lot,weather turns cold,bee's contract down into a cluster,and dont seem to want to cluster around cages with cells in to keep them warm,especially at this time of year. Simpler in the incubator,constant temp,caged from the start,no problems at all.

Last edited:
Back