Incubator probems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
I used to be able to incubate queen cells in roller cages in my egg incubator without apparent problems and thought I did it at 36.5 degree C. Queens emerged fine and lively and seemed ok for 24 hours left in cages. This year, read temp should be 34.5 degree C, queens emerging but seem less mature and become very sluggish within 12 hours and even die. What am I doing wrong?

Never used an incubator myself so will leave that to someone else to comment on. But just to start with the obvious, have you used another thermometer to confirm the incubator's temperature reading is correct? It would just rule out any problems which might be caused by fluctuating or inaccurate temperatures.

I used to be able to incubate queen cells in roller cages in my egg incubator without apparent problems and thought I did it at 36.5 degree C. Queens emerged fine and lively and seemed ok for 24 hours left in cages. This year, read temp should be 34.5 degree C, queens emerging but seem less mature and become very sluggish within 12 hours and even die. What am I doing wrong?

It may be that there are warmer/cooler spots in your incubator. What sort of incubator do you have? Does it have fans to circulate the air and prevent hot spots?
I use a Brinsea Ova-Easy with the humidity option (Advance EX model). It is all controlled by the panel on the front. Even so, I have mine set at 35.0 C 50% relative humidity.
Do you candle the cells? I bought an incubright egg candler to candle the cells. Interestingly, it has helped me detect cells that are either dead at an early stage or empty altogether - thus freeing up space in the incubator so I'm not waiting for cells to emerge that never will.

Attachments

• Brinsea.jpg
    Brinsea.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Incubright.jpg
    Incubright.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
I run mine (home made) at 35C. (fluctuates 34.5 to 35.5C)
It could be the QCs have not been properly fed due to weather . (I always feed syrup and pollen patties unless huge flow on)
Or power cut in middle of night? I have a max/min thermometer for that -separate from the incubator controller and battery powered.
Or nosema in cell raiser?

I run mine at 35c and relative humidity what are the cells like is there plenty of food even after emerging?
It could be lack of food or fluctuating temp humidity as other had said.
@B+. I have a egg candler would that be OK for cells, I didn't think to do that and I've been candling eggs :rolleyes: I've had two duff cells one had died inside and the other was empty?

I run mine at 35c and relative humidity what are the cells like is there plenty of food even after emerging?
It could be lack of food or fluctuating temp humidity as other had said.
@B+. I have a egg candler would that be OK for cells, I didn't think to do that and I've been candling eggs :rolleyes: I've had two duff cells one had died inside and the other was empty?
Yes. They're LED so the light is cool and won't cause any problems.

I use a thermometer with a certificate of calibration to test all my equipment. My incubators and honey warmers are homemade and just using normal thermometers all my equipment was 2°C out.

Do you candle the cells? I bought an incubright egg candler to candle the cells. Interestingly, it has helped me detect cells that are either dead at an early stage or empty altogether - thus freeing up space in the incubator so I'm not waiting for cells to emerge that never will.
I'm guessing the number of empty and dead cells are in the very low percentages, of the top of your head, do you know how much?

I've noticed this year multiple Queen Cells not emerging, 15% isn't uncommon, previously it would have been 5% (1 in 20), as I use two frame mating nucs and put a 14 day old Queen Cell in, Candling the cells first would be a very good idea.

I'm guessing the number of empty and dead cells are in the very low percentages, of the top of your head, do you know how much?

I've noticed this year multiple Queen Cells not emerging, 15% isn't uncommon, previously it would have been 5% (1 in 20), as I use two frame mating nucs and put a 14 day old Queen Cell in, Candling the cells first would be a very good idea.

I haven't really kept a track of it but I'd guess at 1-2 per series. The way I'd put it is if you have a couple left that haven't emerged, candle them and see if they're likely to. It's probably not worth doing it on every cell.

Latest posts

Back