Increased Varroa Mite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told very early on that if I ask two bee keepers the same question, I’d get four answers….
I’ve applied Api-Bioxal last Thursday. Will check the bottom boards tomorrow and expect to see dead mites and hopefully no more cappings.
Then, I’ll start thinking about what to do next.
Thanks all 🖖🏼

but why?
time to stop listening to all the chatter and stop obsessively treating every whipped stitch
My thought was a follow up treatment in early spring late winter if varroa levels were still high after a winter trickle treatment as bbc had asked if he could treat via this method again for a second time in jan/Feb time, nothing to do with treating obsessively.
Firstly come early spring and after doing a sugar roll or not I will be using strips on colonys I know have higher levels of Varroa.
My breeder queen colonys will have OA strips added as a matter of cause before I start grafting anyway.
The same goes for later in the season when I will prep new nucs for the heather.
If you think this is obsessively treating for varroa think what you like it's part of my ipm and I had nucs from late June reared queen's bursting and hived up ready to move to the Heather, winter trickle treatment of these colonys was so minimal after treatment I won't be doing it this coming winter on these colonys.

Reactions: BBC
My thought was a follow up treatment in early spring late winter if varroa levels were still high after a winter trickle treatment as bbc had asked if he could treat via this method again for a second time in jan/Feb time, nothing to do with treating obsessively.
Firstly come early spring and after doing a sugar roll or not I will be using strips on colonys I know have higher levels of Varroa.
My breeder queen colonys will have OA strips added as a matter of cause before I start grafting anyway.
The same goes for later in the season when I will prep new nucs for the heather.
If you think this is obsessively treating for varroa think what you like it's part of my ipm and I had nucs from late June reared queen's bursting and hived up ready to move to the Heather, winter trickle treatment of these colonys was so minimal after treatment I won't be doing it this coming winter on these colonys.
Horses for courses, guys.
As I said two different BKs and four different answers.
I’m going to monitor VM levels and consider my options then.
I value your views in my early stages and will no doubt, continue to do so long after.
Thank you all and HNY one and all 🖖🏼

Horses for courses, guys.
As I said two different BKs and four different answers.
I’m going to monitor VM levels and consider my options then.
I value your views in my early stages and will no doubt, continue to do so long after.
Thank you all and HNY one and all 🖖🏼
You will learn to listen to those offering good advice and ignore those who are just background noise as time goes on. It takes a while to sort out what is what but stick around and read as many posts as possible and all will become clear ....

I had the opposite experience.
I treated my hives with Apiguard in August/September. 10 days ago I vaped them with OA, put in bottom boards and checked the drop after a week. The first five hives had zero drop, nothing at all. I began to assume that I had messed up the vaping process but when i checked the sixth and final hive there were hundreds of varroa on the bottom board. I checked back my records and yes, the sixth hive was the only one that has not been treated with Apiguard in August. It was weak hive with a new queen and i didn't want to disturb it at the time. I had also added several frames of capped brood (and varroa), taken from the other hives before their apiguard treatment started.
We have had a very mild autumn and winter and a prolonged ivy season. Wondering if this caused prolonged brood rearing and thus mite increase?

We have had a very mild autumn and winter and a prolonged ivy season. Wondering if this caused prolonged brood rearing and thus mite increase?
Interesting that at the end of Nov I had some colonys with 6+ frames of brood.
Now quite a few colonys broodless and clean inspection boards.

This is all very interesting stuff and coming up to the end of my first season extremely helpful.
I guess the beekeeper needs to evolve and constantly change their approach.
I have successfully trickled my two hives with OA and now have little Varroa drop showing on my boards.
I’ve introduced Perspex crown boards too and still have very active bees. It’s been a steady/steep learning curve and reading your posts has been a great help.
Your advice has been essential.

Latest posts

Back