Increased Varroa Mite

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Can I introduce another round of Apiguard to illuminate a new bout of Varroa. After checking my boards this afternoon, it seems Varroa are on the rise.
Both hives were very active earlier today too.

Can I introduce another round of Apiguard to illuminate a new bout of Varroa. After checking my boards this afternoon, it seems Varroa are on the rise.
Apiguard is not suitable for use in cold weather (I assume you're in UK). Why not consider a one-off treatment with oxalic acid - trickled or vaped, now being a good chance that there's no sealed brood in the hives.

how long were the boards in for? not that it really matters as counting mite drops is a very inexact science
Three weeks(ish). We had a very cold snap around then and I decided to slip them in. I’m now wondering whether to remove them. Temps are now in the early teens 🤔 and for the rest of the week.
Both hives were extremely active today, but I couldn’t see any pollen being brought in. Any idea what they’re up to.

If they've been in for three weeks then that drop is fairly meaningless, the bees have just been out for a toilet flight. If I were you I'd start thinking about trickling Oxalic acid on them soon.

When you treat varroa, the daily drop down is biggest after 2 weeks. Dropping continues one month.

Surely if you have recently treated, you’re going to see a much higher drop rate for a while. Doesn’t mean that you have more veroa, just that you’ve managed to kill more of them!

I am beginning to wonder about the effectiveness of Apiguard. Treated all my hives in Autumn when the temperature was 16-18 with 2 trays over a 5 wk period.
Last week I had between 27 -36 mites per day on the insert board over a 5 day period. Will do OA vaporisation now.

As from the instructions " The external temperature should be above 15°C (60°F), which means that the colony is active " I assume that means over 15C day AND night.
Which in our local case rules out any treatment after mid September..

Great advice guys. I think I’ll monitor the drop rate again before deciding on OA treatment.

The drop rate is not a reliable way of measuring the mite-load in each hive.

We all have varying practices: Mine is to vape OA x3 in late August and x1 in winter after a cold spell but Temp should be >8C on that day so that the bees are not in a tight cluster. I don't monitor varroa at all!

As from the instructions " The external temperature should be above 15°C (60°F), which means that the colony is active " I assume that means over 15C day AND night.
Which in our local case rules out any treatment after mid September..
I think it's just day - the bees need to be active, that is, venturing out thus giving more room within the hive for the apiguard to circulate - they are going to be indoors at night whatever the outside temps

Latest posts

Back