Incoming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Heard the distinctive noise of a swarm in flight Aargh wasn't expecting that. Rushed down to the apiary (all of 50 yds) - all calm and normal, followed the noise and found a prime swarm inbound from the woods across the road. They made a beeline (pun intended) for my bait hive and within an hour had all moved in -RESULT:)

Lucky git! I've had 3 bait boxes out for a while now and they have had some interest but no occupants yet.

Si.

All 3 of mine are old comb and lemongrass oil just have to keep my fingers crossed!

Si.

Shouldn't have been so smug - the swarm was from one of my out apiaries, some 400 metres away from the garden:( at least I didn't have to shake it out of a 30 foot tree. Homing bees that's a first.

ps, Re other posts of garden bees causing aggro, I have (at the moment) 3 sites, Garden, Near wood (where the swarm came from) and Far Wood (4 miles away) Allows me to move stroppy colonies and keep the peace:cheers2: Mike

AT least you are honest enough to own up without any prompting!

Re-unite for honey crop or keep separate for increase? Win, win either way.

Regards, RAB

Yep after 30 years of beekeeping circumstances still make you look stupid:eek:

This colony was moved from my garden to the "Far Apiary" for the acacia, once the flow was over 2 days to clear the supers, 1 day to move them, Bees manic so attempt to inspect on day 7 abandoned, day 9 "incoming". day 10 bees were pussycats with 5 sealed queen cells:banghead:

As they have given me 25lbs of beautiful acacia honey I will keep them as an increase:D

Back