incoming bees with markings on thorax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meidel

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
down at the apiary this afternoon i noticed a few marked drones and worker bees! so who has been practising marking bees recently then? I know it wasn't any of us at the apiary.

has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Serious drifting then?

Or someone sat in their garden marking your bees... watch out for the invoice coming your way.

drones i can understand, workers ??!!

you didnt say that in your post lol

there was yellow too - but that could've been pollen - but definitely green and definitely blue ones too.

there was yellow too - but that could've been pollen - but definitely green and definitely blue ones too.

Na. That would be gold and bronze. You've got some sort of games going on in your part of the world haven't you. It could have been Beesain BOLT!

Green I could understand must have come from those little green men's beehives
:confused:

Hmm...when I was small I used to mark the thoraxes of worker bees on the clover on the back lawn of our suburban house in the long summer holidays - to see how many came back day after day: five colours it was...

...I never considered until I kept my own how perplexing it might be to the hive-keeper!

down at the apiary this afternoon i noticed a few marked drones and worker bees! so who has been practising marking bees recently then? I know it wasn't any of us at the apiary.

has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Yep ! I've got white spotted workers ( no drones) going into one hive - looks like 2011 queens! Loads of them. No idea what it's from but the uncapped honey in the super is very dark.

What does Balsam look like ?

Yep ! I've got white spotted workers ( no drones) going into one hive

balsam is white and the bees tend to get thoroughly covered in it, all over their hairy little bodies :)

Hmm...when I was small I used to mark the thoraxes of worker bees on the clover on the back lawn of our suburban house in the long summer holidays - to see how many came back day after day: five colours it was...

...I never considered until I kept my own how perplexing it might be to the hive-keeper!

hmmm i shall interrogate my boys this afternoon ...

green or blue, looks like some people are right and gm crops are allready here

Think it is Ted Hoopers book which suggests practicing marking bees on drones and then when you get better to practice on workers till finally you are ready to tackle the queen. Personally I'm not going to bother with the workers.

Think it is Ted Hoopers book which suggests practicing marking bees on drones and then when you get better to practice on workers till finally you are ready to tackle the queen. Personally I'm not going to bother with the workers.[/I]

:smilielol5::gnorsi:

Yep ! I've got white spotted workers ( no drones) going into one hive - looks like 2011 queens! Loads of them. No idea what it's from but the uncapped honey in the super is very dark.

This on bees:)

Back