In Praise of local stockists

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roche

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having been caught out by the rate at which the nucs from Poly Hive have developed, and needing to put a second super on one and a third on the other (after being a generous nuc only a month ago) I found out that Th***es don't open their branches on Mondays. I remembered that there were some local stockists near me though, and the first one I rang had everything I needed - just a few miles away.

The prices maybe aren't what you would get direct from the manufacturer, but with the lead times from them going out to weeks instead of days, you need to pay for the service provided by the agent of carrying stock.

The bad news is that local agents are getting fewer, due to direct purchase via the internet. I would say - use the local agent - you never know when you might need them...

Last edited:
Is their a list of local agents somewhere?

I'd be interested: mail order from Thornes takes an age, and the trip to Windsor likewise. Even if an agent were more pricey, there would be savings on delivery or petrol.

You praise the stockist but dont name them?

You praise the stockist but dont name them?

They used to publish the list of agents in the cataglogue. It has changed somewhat now, the general public can often get a better deal than the dealers!!

here's the contact info for my nearest independant supplier of all things be-related. John Everett.
http://www.applebeeorchard.co.uk/

and thanks to John and all the other independent suppliers who can supply the un-prepared beekeeper at short notice!!

I have a local agent about 15 miles away. They are convenient and, for a newbeek, a very handy source of information. Even if they are not cheap.

But they have problems from time to time too. In the Spring they waited more than ten weeks for a very substantial order from their main supplier - who was busy filling private, online orders instead.

Fortunately, things seem to be a bit easier now (and they have also identified some alternative suppliers for many items, so they are not completely dependent on one source).

Last edited:
Well I'd be pleased to name a Thornes agent.

Deans garden Centre, York. Stock most run of the mill items, will order anything from the Thornes catalogue for you and charge the standard cat price. For most top up purchases they are cheaper because you avoid the postage. Dont get sales etc but does seem reasonably well used by local community so stable and reliable source.

Finding out about local stockists.

Does anyone have contact details for a stockist in the north Derbyshire/east Cheshire area?

I want a few items and spent yesterday looking online for them, but felt that the postage was prohibitive (lower price/heavy items!) and thought about buying from an agent/stockist locally. I spent some time searching web for details of somebody local but couldn't find anyone.

If these's no-one near I'll have to spend more to get better value - not a policy my husband supports!

Or you could always support your local association. In Yorkshire, Leeds BKA and Harrogate & Ripon BKA have well stocked shops open for a few hours one or more days a week in the season.

ohhhhhhh i dream of having a local stockist:smilie_bett::smilie_bett: you want too live on an island like i do and see how long stuff takes too get to you:banghead::banghead: and just when you thought it could not get any worse they double the postage:banghead::banghead: i ordered over a £150 worth of stuff over 2 weeks ago and ive just been phoned to say is comming thurs.
rant over :seeya:

Or you could always support your local association. In Yorkshire, Leeds BKA and Harrogate & Ripon BKA have well stocked shops open for a few hours one or more days a week in the season.

m100, do you know location and timings, never ventured over and probably outside my practical petrol limit for general use but as a trip out and a nosey sounds interesting. I was at Harlow Carr last year when HDBKA did their open day, feels like a well supported and structured group and very friendly.

Rosti,

Harrogate is every Saturday morning from 09:00 until 12:30

Leeds is every Wednesday 18:30 - 20:30 and first Saturday of the month 10:00 - 12:00

Latest posts

Back