In need of a cunning plan

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where the top bar pulls off, just put a bit of superglue in, then push it back together.

castellations

Castellations! They're what you need.
If you want to be the best
If you want to beat the rest
Hmmm, hmmm, castellations are what you need.

Now there's a reference that you almost certainly need to be "of a certain age" to even stand a chance of recognising.

With apologies to Roy, err, Castell.

James

Castellations! They're what you need.
If you want to be the best
If you want to beat the rest
Hmmm, hmmm, castellations are what you need.

Now there's a reference that you almost certainly need to be "of a certain age" to even stand a chance of recognising.

With apologies to Roy, err, Castell.

James
Record Breakers! Now that takes me back a bit.

I personally don't like castellations, I like to be able to slide blocks of frames along. For example if I take out the outers I slide 5 to the front and5 to the back, putting clean frames into the middle

Last edited:
I was replacing old comb in (double brood) hives today by removing the bottom box, adding a new box of foundation, transferring over any frames of brood I happened to find in the old bottom box. There wasn't much in most cases, but one colony had managed to fix the frames into the box so tight that I wasn't able to remove any. There's no longer any "wiggle room" in the box and attempting to lift a frame (next to the hive wall) straight up just resulted in the top bar pulling off. However, I can see brood on some of the frames, so it's possible the queen may also be there.

I couldn't think of anything I could do with the kit I had with me, so I just returned the box to the stack and closed it back up so I could go away and have a think about it.

The best I can come up with for the time being is to take the box off, stand it on its side and from the bottom use a hive tool or probably something longer to try to cut around the broken frame, hopefully either loosening to the point where it can be removed and the rest of the box inspected normally, or perhaps so I can get enough wiggle room to work it free.

Any other ideas how to deal with it?

James
You need to loosen one of the frames, it doesn't matter which. Identify a soft target and then drive the hive tool or any thin knife between the frame and its neighbours. Once one has been removed the rest should be easy. There's no reason why you shouldn't remove two or even three in a block if that's where the least resistance appears to be. Drive the knife in slowly to allow the bees to move away. If HM might be in the block, as a precaution I would have a nuc box on hand just in case.

If that doesn't work then as a very last resort you can try using a gently heated knife, warm enough to melt the wax but not so hot as to send the whole thing up in smoke. A kettle of boiling water should do it.

I have had to use the first method a few times, but the second method (hot knife) is pure guess work, so if you do try it I would be pleased to hear any feedback.

Latest posts

Back