In Depth Beekeeping Book

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frithgar

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 and one nuc
Hi, I've just restarted beekeeping this year after a 7 year break, I kept bees when I was younger but had to stop when I moved away from home to college.

Since restarting my beekeeping I've been reading up and doing research on the subject on the net, my ignorance on the subject is quite frankly, embarrassing!

I've been reading an excellent book called The Hive and The Honey Bee, however there are two problems, it's the 1969 edition so it's a little out of date, and it's aimed at U.S. beekeepers and I'm a UK resident. I've seen a few references on this forum to a book by Ted Hooper which I'm going to purchase, but is there a good, up to date book that will go into the depth that The Hive and The Honey Bee goes into?

Thanks for your time and appreciate any comments.

Last edited:
books

Hi, Practical guide to beekeeping by David Cramp is good, with Hoopers new revised edition to explain in more detail. Both from Amazon £9.99. On the net search Dave Cushman as he updates his site almost weekly. Lots on this site use his for reference. Along with this forum, should be all you need. Hope this helps, I'm in same position.(Lol) Regards, Dave.

On the net search Dave Cushman as he updates his site almost weekly.

Really?

The broken links that were there a year ago with regards to missing content are still there!

Really?

The broken links that were there a year ago with regards to missing content are still there!
I don't suppose that you have considered telling Dave Cushman about it . . .

'Guide to Bees and Honey' by Ted Hooper MBE, recently revamped which
coincided with his sad death a couple of months ago.

If you only get one book on beekeeping make it this one.

...course not, didn't you know you have an obligation to check all your online contributions for continuity at least weekly ;). I personally think DC's pages are great.

Didn't seem a lot of point, he deliberately put temporary pages there a few years ago as evidenced by the revision date some of which date back many many years (2006 or so) At first glance it looks like the site isn't updated on a regular basis or if it is then the changes aren't visible by means of a change log.

I'm not knocking the site. The content is fantastic, it's just the bits that are missing that I keep coming across again and again that bug me!

I'm not knocking the site. The content is fantastic, it's just the bits that are missing that I keep coming across again and again that bug me!

Same here.....and yes Hombre i have asked Dave on more than one occasion if some of the broken links could be fixed,says he's to busy,and is not in the best of health.

I think thats the reason,he had to give up his bees due to health problems.

That is a real shame Admin, I have found Dave Cushman's site very useful, despite the odd broken like. The information of Langstroth frames is very informative and must have taken some time to acquire.

As for a good book on beekeeping, I have found Practical Beekeeping by Clive de Bruyn very good, ISBN: 978 1 86126 049 9. Cost about £25 in hardback.

The Beekeeping Study Notes for the BBKA (SBKA & FIBKA) basic exam is very good too, ISBN: 0 905 652-43-6. Cost about £10.50 in softback.

Latest posts

Back