Improve this poly hive design

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like what BigAshW says. put a feeder in it.
Escapes to let trapped bees escape but also keeps the 'look' of the wbc. Didn't William invent those cone escapes?
As JBM says though. You won't need the escape as you won't have trapped bees. You can keep it on for aesthetic reasons but I'd blank the hole off behind it.

Also have you checked the dimensions of the English feeders bee equipment sell. Would be worth making sure you can fit one above your crown board.

You will also want to be able to block that he off when not feeding otherwise it'll get filled with comb.

I'd be tempted though to turn that whole area into a miller feeder like the bs honey bee poly feeder. Would be more efficient.

Well as it's just solid WBC shaped poly boxes rather than separate lifts and inner boxes, you definitely don't need the bee escapes in the roof as, unless you foolishly leave gaping holes in the crown boards, you won't get bees in there (the reason for the bee escapes in the WBC roofs was to allow any bees that got trapped between the lifts and the inners to get out)
I looked at the designs before I read your post ...it just about sums it up.

It's an aesthetic take on a poly hive ... apart from looking like a WBC it doesn't have any real credence as a design. I'm not wishing to be overly critical - some people like the appearance of a WBC and I can see that, painted white, it would have the appearance of one without the need to use it like one.

It may appeal to some but I suspect that the complexity of the mouldings would make it prohibitively expensive to produce - indeed, some bits of it may be impractical to mould and some of the sections look a bit as though they would be prone to damage.

It may appeal to some but I suspect that the complexity of the mouldings would make it prohibitively expensive to produce - indeed, some bits of it may be impractical to mould and some of the sections look a bit as though they would be prone to damage.
There is nothing challenging or costly about tooling for parts like this.

Last edited:
I like the concept but wonder why you have a nice chunky lump of poly in the sides of the first section and much thinner section in the second. Is this just to accommodate a 12th frame? If it were me I'd try to make the side a similar thickness with 11 or even 10 frames. After all you won't be short of space using 10 frame 14x12's. This is a configuration I have on some of my clients WBC's which were the most productive ones I maintain.
Re the escapes - keep them for the look but leave the client with the choice of open or shut.
Re the roof - for an elegant solution I would look at some kind of locking by pinning it into the section below but the most practical solution would be by weight, so your idea of internal ballast is probably the best compromise.

Just a thought - you want to keep your target market as wide as possible so I would suggest some kind of storage facility for matchsticks during the summer when they are not in use? ;)

There is nothing challenging or costly about tooling for parts like this.
They may not be challenging but having spoken at some length with a company that makes moulds for and moulds polyrene they are expensive to produce (I was looking at producing a product in polystyrene some years ago - I abandoned the project because the cost, when everything was factored in, made it too expensive fot the market it was intended for).

The principle problem that you would face with the proposed hive is that your market place is limited.

1. The WBC is really only found in the UK.
2. You are only looking at beekeepers who want the aesthetics of a WBC and are prepared to pay for it - you are not looking at a 'new' WBC - it's an imitation.
3. Often people who go down the WBC Route do it because they like the traditional nature of it - polystyrene may not altogether meet their requirements.
4. You are competing with a fair number of existing suppliers of polystyrene hives - all of whom have their proponents - they may look like fish boxes but they work, they are cheap and practical.
5. You will need at least two variants - I like 14 x 12 frames - but a large number of beekeepers prefer standard nationals and a growing number Langstroth hives. More moulds, more stock, more costs.

If you take all the above into account and start estimating how many you would be able to sell - and factor into account the cost of the mouldings, the premium that small production runs dictate and the costs of getting it to market I rather think that it's a commercially flawed proposition. Although, as an esoteric exercise I can see the appeal.

Well as it's just solid WBC shaped poly boxes rather than separate lifts and inner boxes, you definitely don't need the bee escapes in the roof as, unless you foolishly leave gaping holes in the crown boards, you won't get bees in there (the reason for the bee escapes in the WBC roofs was to allow any bees that got trapped between the lifts and the inners to get out)
Also ... from a design viewpoint. I use Paynes Polys ... the bees often propolise the boxes together and a hive tool is required to separate them ... it's not too difficult with Paynes as the mating faces are square - I rarely cause any damage. However, with the overlap on the proposed design and the 'lip' it's going to be really difficult to prise the boxes apart without causing damage to edges - you would be better with flat mating surfaces - needs a rethink.

Also ... from a design viewpoint. I use Paynes Polys ... the bees often propolise the boxes together and a hive tool is required to separate them ... it's not too difficult with Paynes as the mating faces are square - I rarely cause any damage. However, with the overlap on the proposed design and the 'lip' it's going to be really difficult to prise the boxes apart without causing damage to edges - you would be better with flat mating surfaces - needs a rethink.
Yup, concertinaing poly boxes is a recipe for damaging them levering them apart.
I think with a little tinkering this could be an aesthetically pleasing, modern take on the classic wbc, good work Apricot Slice!

The only reason for the bee escapes on WBC hives was to allow bees to exit after replacing the outer covers, after an inspection. No bees should be able to enter/exit the inner boxes, except by the entrance/exit on a WBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back