Importing stingless bees from outside EU

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone imported bees from outside EU.
I am thinking of having stingless bees.
If someone has imported, could you please tell me how you managed to pack it and the procedures we need to follow?
Thanks,

why would you want to import stingless bees? apart from the fact they wouldn't survive in our climate, the forage wouldn't suit them either hardly worth the effort for a top yield of a couple of litres a month.
Notwithstanding the fact you couldn't call it honey over here as the water content is way too high.

Has anyone imported bees from outside EU.
I am thinking of having stingless bees.
If someone has imported, could you please tell me how you managed to pack it and the procedures we need to follow?
Thanks,
Simple... Move to somewhere with stingless bees as a native species then you can keep them there. IIRC they do, however, bite.

I can see the appeal of having bees that will not sting but you might just need to work on breeding honey bees for calmness instead.

A typical stingless beehive
stingless1.jpg
The interior:
stingless2.jpg

And a typical 'extraction' (you have to stab all those pods that contain honey, then just pour it out (easy with the heat out in Tanzania - not so simple here)

stingless 6.jpgstingless7.jpg

Here is a Pic from Malaysia you also get them in Laos you have to use a needle there to inject or rather pull out the honey quite bitter, only forage circa 500m

They would be classed as any other bee imports are and thus packages are no longer allowed, queens need to be inspected but given their size you would never find her.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Back