Importing queens post Brexit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Just thought I'd chuck this one in for you.

Please see below for the current position on imports and exports, but this is a situation that could change right up until the last minute.

Imports into GB from the EU would be subject to WTO conditions. This would mean:
  • Consignments must be pre-notified – you will need to obtain a reference number which should be included in the health certificate provided by the competent authority in the EU
  • After 1 July the consignment will need to enter via a border control point. From 1 January to 30 June, consignments will be checked at destination
  • Only queens will be permitted; colonies and packages will not be allowed.
Once the consignment has reached its destination the packaging and attendant workers will need to be sent to Fera Science (for England and Wales).

I was actually thinking about this earlier as I was looking through customs formalities for work. Not sure how this is going to work for Northern Ireland as even importing from GB to NI is going to be a ballache, I reckon I'll need a health cert and I can't imagine many suppliers in the UK will oblige.

Likewise not many suppliers in Ireland export and if ordering from the continent everything moves through Heathrow as its a BCP so would I have to notify the GB authorities as well?

Going to be a high demand for nucs if packages can't be brought in.
I know businesses that sold 500 this year as nucs, all were imported as packages with queens.

I imagine all will carry on as before (unfortunately) and the authorities will have far bigger fish to fry than worry over bees.

Current Position on Imports and Exports
Imports into GB from the EU would be subject to WTO conditions. This would mean:

• Consignments must be pre-notified – you will need to obtain a reference number which should be included in the health certificate provided by the competent authority in the EU
  • After 1 July the consignment will need to enter via a border control point. From 1 January to 30 June, consignments will be checked at destination
Once the consignment has reached its destination the packaging and attendant workers will need to be sent to Fera Science (for England and Wales).

Question??
How many packages were imported so far this season... and how many queens??
How will this change the way we keep bees???
  • Once the consignment has reached its destination the packaging and attendant workers will need to be sent to Fera Science (for England and Wales)
A shift in the right direction?

Chons da

2600 packages imported in 2019 and 1800 this year.
Going to be a lot of disappointed people wanting bees next spring and a hit to the bee farming industry.
I hope it doesn't increase hive thefts but it probably will.

Do bumblebees fall under the same rules ( I think they do ) it could cause chaos with the growers that import them for pollination in poly tunnels.

2600 packages imported in 2019 and 1800 this year.
Going to be a lot of disappointed people wanting bees next spring and a hit to the bee farming industry.
I hope it doesn't increase hive thefts but it probably will.

Do bumblebees fall under the same rules ( I think they do ) it could cause chaos with the growers that import them for pollination in poly tunnels.

I think at one point that pollinating bumbles were included, but now separately listed ... Norman Carreck ( must check spelling)gave a presentation on this to the B4 group just before the Covid 19 lockdown

https://sussex.academia.edu/normanCarreck

Latest posts

Back