Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. I'll do that.
Now about the actual matter we were discussing... I refer the honourable gentleman to post #463
The matter is very much linked your against imports due to a SHB threat, so I’ll help you out are you also against the imports of plants and fruit that are also a SHB threat and arguably by volume far greater. How did the Googling go?whilst we are on the subject can you point me to an instance of legal bee imports leading to a foreign pest importation in the Uk.

It is very difficult reading some of these posts and I am bereft to the extent of mindlessness. We here in Ireland North and South are trying to preserve our native stocks and have made hugh steps to do so, over many decades of careful bee breeding. We find ourselves being trampled on by an Englishman whom has no regard for us and what we trying to achieve, all in the persuit of MONEY! nothing else! Within the next 4 weeks in one single move, decades of bee breeding is going to be decimated and from what I see to the delight of some here!! It is deeply worrying and down right disheartening seeing this Partick Morfet crusade like this in Ireland. He is singled handedly going to threaten bee health in Ireland but he is going to spread genetics not native to Ireland. I live about 6 miles from his warehouse!!!!!! It is hard to contain ones emotions thinking if this mans actions and his uncaring irresponsiblity to us bee keepers here in Ireland!!!!

Packages don't normally have drones.
I understand your anger though.

The courts will sort it out.
Pointless bickering on here about it nothing will be achieved.

The importation of queens in relatively unaffected and that is all most are bothered about.

If Brexit hadn't happened this topic wouldn't even be being discussed and unrestricted imports would carry on regardless.
The topic is a victim of spin and emotive propaganda. Twisted to make people believe the ban was for something other than our country becoming a third country to the EU and the EU becoming a third country to us. Legislation will catch up eventually.

I do believe some of the most vocal against importation are poisoned by their own intestinal gases. Some sunlight on their faces and a breath of fresh air would work miracles.

NI is only part of the UK due to politics, it is still a foreign country as far as bees are concerned as the bees that weren't imported into Ireland in the last 100 years ( large amount of them according to the DNA ) evolved there after the Irish Sea had flooded and are a different ecotype to the bees in GB, yet it is fine to import these bees based on their subspecies being black in colour and similar to our native stock of old.
The whole thing screams hypocrisy.
Most are that ill informed they rant on about Italian bees when the bees in question aren't Italian, they are Italian raised Buckfast !

If hobby beekeepers didn't kill so many bees or panic buy so many queens half the imports wouldn't happen as there would be no demand.

The matter is very much linked your against imports due to a SHB threat, so I’ll help you out are you also against the imports of plants and fruit that are also a SHB threat and arguably by volume far greater. How did the Googling go?whilst we are on the subject can you point me to an instance of legal bee imports leading to a foreign pest importation in the Uk.
OK I'm out. It is impossible to argue against a position so lucidly put as yours.

Yes imported packages came in before with the relivant docs/checks and no disease came with them!
Can you be sure none of the efb variants came in through imported packages?
Bit of a definitive statement without knowing imho.

Seems to me the press in ROI need to put pressure on their government to pass legislation similar to the Slovaks to keep their important Amm as clear of introgression and risk from novel disease from imports as possible, bee equipment have given them plenty of ammunition and leverage.

Can you be sure none of the efb variants came in through imported packages?
Bit of a definitive statement without knowing imho.
You are correct who can be 100% sure. But what we can say is they come with a health certificate/checks and to the best of my knowledge and happy to be proved wrong if you can! That there’s no reported cases linked to package/queen imports. So I hope and think my statement is backed up by some facts imho. Can you show a case of EFB linked to package/queen imports?
Seems to me the press in ROI need to put pressure on their government to pass legislation similar to the Slovaks to keep their important Amm as clear of introgression and risk from novel disease from imports as possible, bee equipment have given them plenty of ammunition and leverage.
Surely it would be old news there’s already imports into Ireland. I also very much doubt they can ban legitimate EU state imports without a real bun fight, and proven legitimate reasons.

Last edited:
Looking at the BBKA petition on parli.uk it doesn't appear to be gaining much traction. Campaign petitions normally get most of their numbers in the first seven days.

If the BBKA are unable to get 10k signatures on their flagship campaign they should consider very hard their effectiveness as a campaign group.

It's a weirdly technical hill to choose to die on.

There is already an EU regulation in place preventing the movement of bees (EUR-Lex - 32014D0909 - EN - EUR-Lex) introduced seven years ago.

Unless someone is airlifting these goods directly from Calabria to the UK it is unlawful to transport them within the EU and they would not be granted any EU documentation required to export them to the UK. They are already therefore banned from the UK.

I do wish the BBKA spent more time working with environmental charities like Bug Life and the Bumble Trust who are professional campaigning organisations and get things done. Rather than trying to ban something that it is not possible to import.

Last edited:
Looking at the BBKA petition on parli.uk it doesn't appear to be gaining much traction. Campaign petitions normally get most of their numbers in the first seven days.

If the BBKA are unable to get 10k signatures on their flagship campaign they should consider very hard their effectiveness as a campaign group.

It's a weirdly technical hill to choose to die on.

There is already an EU regulation in place preventing the movement of bees (EUR-Lex - 32014D0909 - EN - EUR-Lex) introduced seven years ago.

Unless someone is airlifting these goods directly from Calabria to the UK it is unlawful to transport them within the EU and they would not be granted any EU documentation required to export them to the UK. They are already therefore banned from the UK.

I do wish the BBKA spent more time working with environmental charities like Big Life and the Bumble Trust who are professional campaigning organisations and get things done. Rather than trying to ban something that it is not possible to import.
What campaign is that then ???

The bees are coming from the Puglia region which is not included in that EU directive which covers only Calabria and Sicily.
Exactly perfectly legal to move bees within the states that movement order refers to SHB infected areas alone I believe.

That is never going to happen, after your shenanigans earlier this year.
Would you like to elaborate “shenanigans” or just want to make a statement with no substance, a BBKA supporter I suggest, theory of everything 😊

That is never going to happen, after your shenanigans earlier this year.

Would you like to elaborate “shenanigans” or just want to make a statement with no substance, a BBKA supporter I suggest, theory of everything 😊

Stop right there please
Arguments about importing bees have no place here. Nobody seems to be able to stay civil.
This is a thread about hive set up. If you want to fight start a new thread in the cupboard under the stairs.
Quite frankly this subject has been done to death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back