Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HMRC aren't just a tax collecting agency - they also control/enforce export/import regulations and processes, it was all chopped around and fiddled about with some time ago with Border Force just controlling immigration and the smuggling side of things.
So IF the chap in Kent was to attempt to circumvent the regulations on importing packages of bees... would that not be smuggling?

Also... In 2020 GB imported 21,405 queens ... and these were only checked by SBIs .... now in 2021 queen cages and the little helper workers will have to be sent to NBU for inspection, which was NOT happening when were were part of the EU (that we were hoodwinked into leaving IMOHO)
How will the labs cope????

Whole thing is as as welcome as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip!
Just ban all imports of bees.... simples!

So IF the chap in Kent was to attempt to circumvent the regulations on importing packages of bees... would that not be smuggling?
No it's diversion in this case, complex and I'm not prepared to go through the whole thing on an open forum, especially as it needs a tentative grip of the process to begin with.

Maybe we should look at the reasons for the ban on importation of the bees?

My concern is the possible importation of SHB and Tropilaelaps ( worth a watch if you like Dr Sammy Ramsey ) in nucs or packages. Not a problem with queens.
My thought is that if BE have packages available in the spring they will have come via NI and as ITLD say there is unlikely to be any trail or chance of inspection.

We are therefore potentially in a situation where the NI protocol will put the bio security of the UK at greater risk than when we were members of the EU which is I'm sure, not what any of us (including BE) want.

WOW! THE REUNION ISLAND STORY! (6:50min)

ONE GENTLEMAN. Who WAS TOLD. Who everyone KNOWS. Imported queens from a varroa infected area. One or two mites on queen attendants. And within months 2/3rds of their colonies died.

God help this planet from it's infestation of humans.
(YES I KNOW I'M SHOUTING)

Have you ever heard of bees importing themselves illegally by a swarm flying over a political frontier and settling (in a hive, or being caught by a beekeeper)? What is the law when this happens?

Have you ever heard of bees importing themselves illegally by a swarm flying over a political frontier and settling (in a hive, or being caught by a beekeeper)? What is the law when this happens?
I know of beekeepers near the Irish border, and wondered that myself.

I know of a beekeeper in Ireland near the border who openly stated (in a meeting) bees are illegally transported across the Border - all the time. And everyone knows of it but no-one does anything about it. He also happened to be a Bee Inspector.

My gast was flabbered.

Ask the NBU or the BBKA ; maybe the government even ? they're still trying to arrest an illegal immigrant named covid .

Mass email sent out:

Capture.PNG

Under the subject of:
WE NEED YOUR HELP TO SAVE THE HONEYBEE!

It would be too easy to sit here and pick apart every single part of what has been said in this email, but I'll leave it to others.

Well they have just lost my business then
They'd already lost any future business from me after receiving some boxes the other year which needed more than a little faffing about with before they could be assembled.

It certainly smacks of desperation when you look at the language he's using in the description.

Having just received this email myself, I quite agree.
Unfortunately there will be plenty of customers who blindly click that big yellow Sign Here button. 🙄

They'd already lost any future business from me after receiving some boxes the other year which needed more than a little faffing about with before they could be assembled.

Having just received this email myself, I quite agree.
Unfortunately there will be plenty of customers who blindly click that big yellow Sign Here button. 🙄
Yes. Not only “save the bee” but “save the beekeeper” too

It gets worse.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
What you need to do

Find out about the temporary suspension of petition debates

This flags up when one opens the "Petition"

Desperate man with his own agenda to make a few bucks by importing bees from an area known to have honeybee disease?

Only 429 votes for it.... and the petition debate committee or whatever they are called is suspended... by a human disease that has spread throughout the world by "importation" faster than Varroa destructor..

I should imagine someone is living in cloud cuckoo land!

Those prospective beekeepers should take up chicken keeping instead.... but.. I forgot... what about bird virus?

Yeghes da

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
What you need to do

Find out about the temporary suspension of petition debates

This flags up when one opens the "Petition"

Desperate man with his own agenda to make a few bucks by importing bees from an area known to have honeybee disease?

Only 429 votes for it.... and the petition debate committee or whatever they are called is suspended... by a human disease that has spread throughout the world by "importation" faster than Varroa destructor..

I should imagine someone is living in cloud cuckoo land!

Those prospective beekeepers should take up chicken keeping instead.... but.. I forgot... what about bird virus?

Yeghes da
It was 150 votes at 1400hrs today at 1730 its 440 not yet meteoric.

I know of a beekeeper in Ireland near the border who openly stated (in a meeting) bees are illegally transported across the Border - all the time. And everyone knows of it but no-one does anything about it. He also happened to be a Bee Inspector.

My gast was flabbered.

Considering everything that gets smuggled across that border bees is the least of it.
Fuel is a really common one. Several "farmers" who allegedly have links to certain paramilitary organisations have farms that straddle the border, and diesel tanks on both sides. Allegedly they might accidentally siphon fuel from one tank to the other... Thomas Murphy (Irish republican) - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back