I'm taking my first bbka module exam.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of an up date I've received an email concerning my basic exam... The coordinator said they would like me to do the basic first??
That's a shame. The Scottish BKA are allowing people to take the written modules without having first to go through the Basic. Perhaps the BBKA will catch up?

That's a shame. The Scottish BKA are allowing people to take the written modules without having first to go through the Basic. Perhaps the BBKA will catch up?
I don't know.. I'm wondering how this will happen, I'm more than happy to do the basic first as long as its not a rainy day and I'm notinspecting my own colony.

I don't know.. I'm wondering how this will happen, I'm more than happy to do the basic first as long as its not a rainy day and I'm notinspecting my own colony.
You won't be inspecting your own colony .. part of the Basic rule is that you are inspecting someone else's bees ... and it does not seem to get cancelled for reasons of weather - at least in my case !

Well it won’t be till spring and we will all be vaccinated by Easter. 😬

I'm more than happy to do the basic first as long as its not a rainy day and I'm notinspecting my own colony.
The guy who did mine gave me a choice of several days but advised to go for the first one so we had others in abeyance in case of bad weather. I don't think he was any more keen than I was to do it in the rain!

In the event it was nearly 30°c so the actual inspection was short and sweet, followed by questions under the pergola!

The guy who did mine gave me a choice of several days but advised to go for the first one so we had others in abeyance in case of bad weather. I don't think he was any more keen than I was to do it in the rain!

In the event it was nearly 30°c so the actual inspection was short and sweet, followed by questions under the pergola!
Replying to all three posts above.. I pusume it will be at the association apiary?
Dani if the trials go good then yes hopefully, my friends wife is participating at the moment with the vaccination at the moment.

Well it won’t be till spring and we will all be vaccinated by Easter. 😬
Mmmmmmmm if we are lucky it might be us "oldies"..... but as Murox says let's see what the next few weeks bring!

Apparently the BBKA do NOT now insist that you take their BASIC before taking any of the module exams.
Asked one of their examiners over the weekend!
Changed recently... apparently!
Chons da

"It is recommended that you have at least 2 years’ experience of beekeeping before sitting a module exam."- taken from the BBKA website and no mention of the Basic on the application form either- it used to ask for the date of the Basic Certificate.
Apple and I are correct you don't now have to have the Basic so no need for any extenuating circumstances- hooray.

Apple and I are correct you don't now have to have the Basic so no need for any extenuating circumstances- hooray.
It would have been helpful if the BBKA had actually stated the dropped requirement (as the SBKA did) rather than casually dropping it out of the sentence and waiting for people to query it! :rolleyes:

It would have been helpful if the BBKA had actually stated the dropped requirement (as the SBKA did) rather than casually dropping it out of the sentence and waiting for people to query it! :rolleyes:
Why would they change their habits ? Dissemination of information is not one of their strong points ...

Here's what I need to learn and be able to do for my basic, I thought I would share.
My basic will be at our association training apiary in Henley next summer if all goes well:)

Attachments

• basic_syllabus_2020.pdf
    253.4 KB · Views: 29
I have tried.
Started out with Reigate BKA in Surrey, because my friends had joined... this was pre varroa... soon ridiculed and shown the door when they found out I had a TBH in my garden.( Grand father had been using them during WW2 as foundation was almost impossible to get unless you made your own!)
Have joined various other groups as I have moved around the country, sadly they all seem to have a certain kind of person....
Paddle me own canoe now!
Chons da

I just joined them , only for the magazine and insurance really but I've joined the national open membership rather than local one. Probably like you I like doing things differently, variety is the spice of life an all that!

Here's what I need to learn and be able to do for my basic, I thought I would share.
My basic will be at our association training apiary in Henley next summer if all goes well:)
You should be able to walk it!
Practice holding the lit smoker between your knees... they like that sort of thing... and do not mention Native bees as they do not exist!!!

Nadelik lowen

Practice holding the lit smoker between your knees
Practice walking with it between your knees
And if you can light it using a flint and steel you'll get a distinction (as well as an interesting wound for the district nurse to dress)

Practice holding the lit smoker between your knees... they like that sort of thing... and do not mention Native bees as they do not exist!!!

Nadelik lowen
Even if the smokers a Dadant:oops: I don't fancy ruinning my family allowance quite yet..
I don't fancy getting into a discussion about native bees because I'll only confuse myself anyway and fail...

I will do everything differently.. Stand infront of the hive.... Hang on a minute can I use what ever smoker fuel I like.. Because I've got a big bag of sativa leaves to use, that will throw the examiner of his/her guard... I'll take chocolate and maybe bake a cake:cool: or.... Bake the examiner..

Practice walking with it between your knees
And if you can light it using a flint and steel you'll get a distinction (as well as an interesting wound for the district nurse to dress)
I can't even light one with a lighter I'm screwed.

Latest posts

Back