I'm taking my first bbka module exam.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi, I've booked my first module exam for next spring but it's going to be on line by the looks.

If I get through the first one I plan to take more.
So far I've only put my name down and the emails I've received aren't very informative.

To those of you that have taken the first module, can you give me any advice and words of wisdom.
Many thanks

Mark.

Wear your medals proudly, at every BBKA function? ;)
Module 1?
Mark you'll walk it looking at a typical paper. There are a couple of mistakes you'll have to memorise to get the right answers

Last edited:
These are ready helpful. others are available if you dig around

Mid Bucks Beekeepers Association Blog

just repeat what is in the syllabus, not what you might actually do :LOL: (my own experience from a number of years ago, before I saw the light and moved away from the dark side!)
Remember to clasp the smoker firmly between your knees and quote the mantra
shook swarm... shook swarm... shook swarm...
and you will do OK

Or is that their BASIC ? ...I never progressed beyond that!
Chons da :cheers2:

Hi
I’ve done 3 modules (1,2,3) and now studying for the next 2 (5&6). I’ve set up study days for Yorkshire beekeepers and coordinated exams & assessments for Yorkshire associations. Here’s my advice:

-Start with the one that interests you most. As you’ve got loads of practical experience, you should do well with Module 1 and it will build your confidence to do others.

-Join a study group or set one up with your local association. Some people like to learn in a group and you can share problems / divide the syllabus and discuss topics together, as well as look at past papers. We’re doing it on Zoom this winter

-Join the Facebook group, there is a group for each of the Modules. You can ask a question you’re stuck on & people will help

-Download the study notes from Mid Bucks beekeepers for Module 1. They have great study notes for all the Modules. They work through the syllabus in a logical, thorough way. Some of the books recommended on the BBKA book list are a bit out of date, as is Yates Study notes, but many people supplement their reading with these.

https://blog.mbbka.org.uk/category/education/bbka-module-1-education/
-Practise past exam papers and time yourself. Especially if it’s been a while since you’ve taken an exam; the case for most of us! Answer the question. Be concise. Divide your time by the marks available. Use bullet points rather than writing an essay or everything you know! Most people run out of time. The Facebook groups usually have the past papers in their file sections that you can download

-BBKA have published model answers for Modules 1,2 and 3. Have a look at these. Gives you an idea of what they’re looking for.

https://www.bbka.org.uk/modules
-You can consider paying to take a ‘Correspondance’ course. This helps with trickier modules eg Module 3 and 5 (I used for Module 3 and I’ve just applied for one for Module 5). You’ll be assigned a tutor who will help. You are sent questions to work though that cover the syllabus that you submit to your tutor. The tutor will give you feedback and suggest further reading. My tutor was Adam Leitch NDB for Module 3, very knowledgeable and really helpful

https://www.bbka.org.uk/correspondence-courses
Exams are not for everyone. They don’t make up for lots of practical experience but do help you learn more and provide answers to ‘why’ in beekeeping as well as ‘what’

Enjoy learning & good luck. Happy to help if you have any questions

Elaine

These are ready helpful. others are available if you dig around

Mid Bucks Beekeepers Association Blog

just repeat what is in the syllabus, not what you might actually do :LOL: (my own experience from a number of years ago, before I saw the light and moved away from the dark side!)
There's nowt wrong with the dark side eventually it will be the light side, the more and more we learn about varroa and the like, the more we will learn that the 'dark side' isn't so dark..
I have the upmost respect for those of you that post and are going down the road of tf and are using the so called dark side of beekeeping.
Eg @HughMann who has just recently put a thread on here. I look forward to reading how you get on.. You may need to tweek the way you are beekeeping in the future, but never give up on what you are trying to achieve.

On topic more so, thankyou for your replys I'm looking forward to taking exams I'm not the best at writing but I make up for it with my love, passion and hopefully practical experience I've learned.

These last two seasons I've learned so much from my mentor and he has been a whirlwind of knowledge and has always let me lead in my practical tasks, he's had to shout at me a few times but he has set me on my path.
He's not on the forum but to you Mr Mt.
Thankyou for your support and friendship and at times having to borrow equipment.

Thanks again folks.

There's nowt wrong with the dark side eventually it will be the light side, the more and more we learn about varroa and the like, the more we will learn that the 'dark side' isn't so dark..
I have the upmost respect for those of you that post and are going down the road of tf and are using the so called dark side of beekeeping.
Heavens!
I don’t know where you got that interpretation from? 😱
The dark side is the BBKA just to set the record straight.

Heavens!
I don’t know where you got that interpretation from? 😱
The dark side is the BBKA just to set the record straight.
Ow yes, well the other dark side then.. Maybe I'll climb down in the hole I'm digging. 16051784515256007554517554972665.jpg
I'll be passing the module with flying colours at this rate.
Opologies dani.

Look at the old exam papers.
Answer the question how they want it answering not how you do it.
Module 1 has quite a high failure rate because people aren't used to doing exams.
Time can be an issue so don't try and write war and peace.
Section A is 1 word or short answers.
Section B is mainly bullet points with a bit of waffle.
Section C is an essay type answer.
There are module groups for all the modules on facebook that have some useful files and people help others with answers etc if they are stuck.

You mean the site that bans anyone not agreeing with the institution.........
Quite ironically the institution then turned on the site haha.

Can I stop holding my breath now? When Curly first posted, I donned a tin helmet and took cover!
Thanks for that no need we aren't in a war. But thanks you can take one for the cgf team.
I don't have to put a tin hat on because my skull is really thick and there's fresh air inside anyway by the looks:unsure::laughing-smiley-004

Ps please stop holding your breath unless your going for a world record.

Hi
I’ve done 3 modules (1,2,3) and now studying for the next 2 (5&6). I’ve set up study days for Yorkshire beekeepers and coordinated exams & assessments for Yorkshire associations. Here’s my advice:

-Start with the one that interests you most. As you’ve got loads of practical experience, you should do well with Module 1 and it will build your confidence to do others.

-Join a study group or set one up with your local association. Some people like to learn in a group and you can share problems / divide the syllabus and discuss topics together, as well as look at past papers. We’re doing it on Zoom this winter

-Join the Facebook group, there is a group for each of the Modules. You can ask a question you’re stuck on & people will help

-Download the study notes from Mid Bucks beekeepers for Module 1. They have great study notes for all the Modules. They work through the syllabus in a logical, thorough way. Some of the books recommended on the BBKA book list are a bit out of date, as is Yates Study notes, but many people supplement their reading with these.

-Practise past exam papers and time yourself. Especially if it’s been a while since you’ve taken an exam; the case for most of us! Answer the question. Be concise. Divide your time by the marks available. Use bullet points rather than writing an essay or everything you know! Most people run out of time. The Facebook groups usually have the past papers in their file sections that you can download

-BBKA have published model answers for Modules 1,2 and 3. Have a look at these. Gives you an idea of what they’re looking for.

-You can consider paying to take a ‘Correspondance’ course. This helps with trickier modules eg Module 3 and 5 (I used for Module 3 and I’ve just applied for one for Module 5). You’ll be assigned a tutor who will help. You are sent questions to work though that cover the syllabus that you submit to your tutor. The tutor will give you feedback and suggest further reading. My tutor was Adam Leitch NDB for Module 3, very knowledgeable and really helpful

Exams are not for everyone. They don’t make up for lots of practical experience but do help you learn more and provide answers to ‘why’ in beekeeping as well as ‘what’

Elaine
Thank you Elaine for going out of your way very much appreciated.

Hi

Elaine
Thanks for all the links. I doubt I will take any exams but great browsing. Had to smile at your suggestion of association study groups - excellent idea I think but not very practical for me.

Could we say things are changing... Yes.. Matches are no more.

It saddens me apple that you have had a ruff ride with the bbka when you started beekeeping.

Look at it like this, You have had the very lucky chance of using brother Adams Mating apairy. If I was a master beekeeper I would be as gel as could be... So two fingers up I'd say.

I have tried.
Started out with Reigate BKA in Surrey, because my friends had joined... this was pre varroa... soon ridiculed and shown the door when they found out I had a TBH in my garden.( Grand father had been using them during WW2 as foundation was almost impossible to get unless you made your own!)
Have joined various other groups as I have moved around the country, sadly they all seem to have a certain kind of person....
Paddle me own canoe now!
Chons da

My advice to Mark would be to start with the module you most like the look of rather than doing them in order. Especially if you've not done exams for a while (which is probably most of us on here!) It's easier if the subject is really engaging.

I started with mod 3 and intended to do mod 5 this year until they all got cancelled. Just my preference because the biology aspect of bees is fascinating!

Previous posts have mentioned the mid-Bucks papers, which are definitely useful. As are the past exam papers which you can buy from the BBKA website. Worth buying/borrowing a few so you can get an idea of how much to write for each section and also to time yourself.

I think you mentioned somewhere before that you're dyslexic? If so there's help of different sorts, e.g extra writing time, via the Additional Support page on the BBKA website.

I have tried.
Started out with Reigate BKA in Surrey, because my friends had joined... this was pre varroa... soon ridiculed and shown the door when they found out I had a TBH in my garden.( Grand father had been using them during WW2 as foundation was almost impossible to get unless you made your own!)
Have joined various other groups as I have moved around the country, sadly they all seem to have a certain kind of person....
Paddle me own canoe now!
Chons da
Singular or plural? I know exactly what you mean, mine has become more of a closed shop over the years, to the point where 'the inner sanctum' decide everything yet all we see is procrastination. Kind of laughable that we advise beginners to join an association. Social media provides a means to bypass the secret society these days.
Can honestly say I had never even looked at the BBKA site and only joined this one years after it had started.

My advice to Mark would be to start with the module you most like the look of rather than doing them in order. Especially if you've not done exams for a while (which is probably most of us on here!) It's easier if the subject is really engaging.

I started with mod 3 and intended to do mod 5 this year until they all got cancelled. Just my preference because the biology aspect of bees is fascinating!

Previous posts have mentioned the mid-Bucks papers, which are definitely useful. As are the past exam papers which you can buy from the BBKA website. Worth buying/borrowing a few so you can get an idea of how much to write for each section and also to time yourself.

I think you mentioned somewhere before that you're dyslexic? If so there's help of different sorts, e.g extra writing time, via the Additional Support page on the BBKA website.
Thanks little bee I will read the links later much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back