I'm ready but have I got everything?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodlamby

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hello All,
I'm ready for my first nucleus of bees, on the list of my local BKA, but need to ask for your advice.

I have the following kit:
Hive - complete (brood box, super, Frames, QE, Floor etc.)
Suit
Smoker
Brush
Tool.

Beside the Bees, what other items of equipment would see me helping them to settle in with the best possible start.

Thanks

Hi if it was me i would get a spare brood box floor and roof just in case they build up and go into swarm mode

That's great thanks.
Are they still liable to swarm at this late stage if they are busy building comb and rearing young etc.
What is the length of swarming season or can it happen at any time during the summer.

I'm not sure I understand your 'giggles' people.

or is that something you put into every post?

as a beekeeper, you never have enough stuff, buying gets addictive, it was meant as tongue in cheek humour, lots of that in here

as a beekeeper, you never have enough stuff, buying gets addictive, it was meant as tongue in cheek humour, lots of that in here
I was warned about the buying frenzy that accompanies beekeeping.
The chap who presented the introduction course told me that he thought he could be in profit in six years (by selling honey) when he started. That thought has now disappeared completely after twelve years of keeping.

I'm not sure I understand your 'giggles' people.

or is that something you put into every post?

You'll never have everything...

which is a good reason for hiding the credit card bill after the sales..

You'll never have everything...

which is a good reason for hiding the credit card bill after the sales..
I understand your sentiment now dishmop.

What I should have said is "enough to get started with my first nuc"

But that seemed too long for a posting header and at least it grabbed your attention.

So, is there anything you feel I need to help my first colony or assist me, initially.

Thanks

Hi if it was me i would get a spare brood box floor and roof just in case they build up and go into swarm mode

crown board, brood frames, super frames, and queen excluder, bee brush.

kingspan or celotex for roof, you may want to get a clear "crown board" made of acrylic for the bb, and try and get them out of the nuc before winter!

and then there is treatment for Varroa.

Last edited:
That's great thanks.
Are they still liable to swarm at this late stage if they are busy building comb and rearing young etc.
What is the length of swarming season or can it happen at any time during the summer.

May-July (published months), but can swarm in August, September, October!

if conditions are right.

An easy to carry box for all the stuff you'll collect that you need (hive tool etc)

Antihistimine and washing soda, Oh and coloured drawing pins come in surprisingly handy too.

Latest posts

Back