I'm now offically a Bee Keeper! Pics & Q's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ando

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Got my 2 Nucs Yesterday and set them up in the afternoon, exciting stuff I must saying moving the frames from the nucs to the hives with no smoke, couldn't believe how many bees were in the nucs! they seemed quite calm, well I judge this on how many tried to sting me and I only saw one try to get me on the hand and that was the first one out, didn't help to calm my nervs!! lol!

I've sighted them in an out apiary, and cleared a space behind some shrubs to keep them out of sight, strimmed it all back and put some membrane down to stop the weeds, well nettles.

They calmed down and within 2 hours were out collecting Pollen, I was really pleased and didn't think they'd be out collecting that fast, I checked them this morning quite early and added some syrup for them, there's some fields of rape within a mile of the site and I guess they'll be on that soon, as some of it must have been planted late, as its only just coming in to flower.

I have noticed a few dead bees around on the membrane I put down and at lunchtime when I was sat watching them noticed some on the floor flicking about in a sort of death dance? I know they aren't long lived in the warmer weather but is this normal?

I have included a pic of one of the bees that's on the floor it was still alive but the wings seemed damaged/clipped, I wondered whether this one could have gone to the wrong hive and been had by the guard bees or does it look like varoa? When I transferred the frames over I didn't notice any varoa damaged bees.

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

Cheers

Mark.

Mark,

I suggest you have an experienced beekeeper take a look at those hives and advise based on a proper inspection.

The bee you show appears to have deformed wing virus, usually associated with varroa infestation. I've annotated your image with what looks like a varroa mite, but like I say you should get a diagnosis based on a proper inspection, not one bee photo.

I would hazard a guess that you have a varroa problem to treat. Where did you get the nucs and what did the seller have to say about recent varroa levels and treatment?
Deformed Wing Virus is associated with varroa in most cases.

What sort of floors have you got? If you have mesh floors then you could put in an insert to check on varroa mite drop.

Hi All,

I have studied the photo and yes I agree the bee has DWV but as for the circle showing a mite then NO I do not consider that is a mite. Think of where you would expect to see mites?

Agreed they might be walking on the dorsal side of the bee but normally they will try to get between the overlapping tergites and sternites, somewhere that is moist and warm.

As mentioned before a Varroa mite count should be taken and also ask the provider for his assessment of mite infestation.

Hey Ando welcome to beekeeping.:)

Regards;

Well Spotted Ando
You have a good eye, your bees will come through this with your help.

Welcome aboard.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice I only have one mesh floor at the mo but will modify the other so I can check the mite count.

With them only being nucs at the mo, what sort of numbers and over how long should I be looking at to get an assessment?

I have been keeping my eye on the dead ones on the floor, I guess the membrane I have put down to stop the weeds has made it a lot easier to spot the dead bees on the floor, I had a look at some of the others and there wings were fine, I checked again this morning and they were all ok. Their isn't a lot of the maybe around 20-40 max they have all collected in pile from the breeze.

I take it that most if not all colonies have varoa and it is something that is just controlled rather than exterminated from hives?

I do have some Apiguard but thought it was later in the year that this is used?

Sorry for all the newbie silly questions, I am on a beginners course and have been researching and reading books for 8 months before taking the plunge and getting bees, but like many of you have said the bees don't read books and I seem to have lost all the small ammount of knowledge I have gained!! lol

Cheers

Mark.

Dont be afraid to ask silly questions as we have all asked them at some time. Ask away you will get answers to all questions.:cheers2:

Mite drop per day for a full colony:

The mite drop in May if between 2-5 mites a day plan action,more than 5 a day take action.

Amount of drone bood infected during May:

Between 1-25 plan action,more than 25-50 take action.

This is for a full size colony so adjust for a Nuc.

You can treat with Apiguard at any time when the temps above 10c as long as you have no honey for human consumption on the hive.

I will make up a month by month table for mite drop later today.

To do a mite count I stick the insert under the mesh floor. I think the mite count is based on dead mites but I wipe the insert with a bit of cooking oil so no live mites can climb off. I have been told that the mites can jump back up into the hive over a certain distance so my hive is on a stand that is open and it stands 18 inches off the ground. I have made some new hive stands and the hives will only rest on the stand at the edges so there is a clear drop of 18 inches below the mesh. So any mites that get dislodged by grooming etc are ....doomed!

Interesting topic - I was watching Paul Metcalfe's excellent beginner's DVD the other evening and he seems to keep the removable/sliding floors IN the hive, just below the mesh floor....from what I could see at least.

Cris

Hi Guys

Will add a floor under the mesh, the only thing I've got to hand at the mo is white cardboard, will that do til I have time to get some plastic?

Got the BI coming tomorrow to have a look at them so will let you know what he says.

Cheers

Mark.

Hi Ando,
Could it be that some bees are getting caught out by chilling? A draughty spot can find bees out flying and foraging and on return to shade where the temperature drop is significant they can just start crawling about and dying from the cold. A bit worrying, but if the bees on the inside of the box all appear to be happy, then that might be a cause.

I am not quite sober Admin so excuse me here but.........I can still read English and this is not quite adding up?

Mite drop per day for a full colony:

The mite drop in May if between 2-5 mites a day plan action,more than 5 a day take action.

Amount of drone bood infected during May:

Between 1-25 and 1-50 plan action,more than 1-25 take action.

This is for a full size colony so adjust for a Nuc.

You can treat with Apiguard at any time when the temps above 10c as long as you have no honey for human consumption on the hive.

I will make up a month by month table for mite drop later today.

See what I mean?

PH

Well spotted,it looks like I went to put the kettle on while typing that and forgot what place I had got to,I will alter my original post.
Thanks PH..

Hi All

Had the bee inspector round today, found both queens and they are laying, so that was a good start.

We spotted quite a few bees with damaged wings between 1&4 per side of each frame, they were a few dead bees half out the cells and some brood that hadn't hatched out the cucoon, can;t remeber what he called it but also said it was slipper brood. There were about 4 of these.

He told me to put on Apiguard while the colony is growing and it hasn;t a super but if they run out of room before the 4 weeks of treatment is up to take it off and add a super.

The other thing he said was to move the frames the nuc came on to the outside and replace with new nd burn them, so will do this over the next few months when they have built up the brood some more, over all he said they were good sized nucs and should be ok.

I guess it could have been better but also could have been worse so will leave them to it for a bit and see what they're doing and how its going in a week.

Am going to fit some slides in the 1 varoa floor I have and see how many fall off, he reckon it could be 100 + for the first few days. I will modify the other in to a varoa floor.

Cheers

Mark

Back