I'm baffled

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I have a colony that is causing me grief!

It swarmed on 21/6 (caught the swarm): on 26/6 all but the best 2 queen cells were removed:7/7 queen cells torn down, queen emerged?, lots of polished cells. up to this point the bees were calm and easy to handle then........

13/7 lifted off the roof and the colony erupted, absolutely manic, replaced the roof and retired for a think.:eek: 27/7 Double beesuit totally stingproof - bees still going mad, thorough check of the brood box - NO BROOD of any description, Q-?, given a frame of eggs and very young larvae.

31/7 Still bees from hell, test frame NO queen cells it now has a little sealed brood and larvae in all stages.

Given the results of the test frame there would appear to be a queen of some sort in there, she should have emerged approx 1 July - 31 days ago so a bit iffy whether she will come into lay. What would you do next? and why would a nice docile colony turn into a hive from hell in a week.

A new queen cannot exist in a colony without coming into lay. So, she will start laying at some point, and I would guess soon.

And then you will have to determine whether good brood or drone laying queen. From the temper of your colony, I would not be surprised if it was the latter.

MJBee,

Temperament - maybe a second generation from an imported 'docile' queen?

9 colonies? Find her, remove her, install another queen by whatever method you think most appropriate.

Regards, RAB

What would you do next?

A new queen cannot exist in a colony without coming into lay. So, she will start laying at some point, and I would guess soon.
And then you will have to determine whether good brood or drone laying queen. From the temper of your colony, I would not be surprised if it was the latter.

:iagree:

why would a nice docile colony turn into a hive from hell in a week.
Because they can and they want to is the simple answer, although once they have a new queen you may find they become far more productive, drawing frames out quicker and storing more nectar.

Two of my four colonies in my rural apiary would be considered nastie and evil but they out preform all my other colonies of approx equal size. To be honest I would be upset if they fail over winter but some days I'm ambivalent (my word of the day) about them. :smash:

I have a simular problem, the hive swarmed but had loads of queen cells. None of the queens seemed to stay put so added test frame and they made two queen cells. These's hatched but still no eggs, I added another test frame 10 days ago and they haven't made any attempt to draw out queen cells so I suspect I have a drone layer as there are a few drone cells in the frames. However the hive is not aggressive unless I'm rought with the frames when handling them.

MJBee,

Temperament - maybe a second generation from an imported 'docile' queen?

9 colonies? Find her, remove her, install another queen by whatever method you think most appropriate.

Regards, RAB

Black French mongrels but the bees that are now manic were pussycats 2 weeks ago, their mother, the queen that departed in the swarm is still producing docile bees.:toetap05:

Finding her will be easier said than done - it is difficult when there are 50+ bees on your veil all intent on getting the first sting!! As Midland Beek said she must come into lay sooner or later, even as a drone layer which MAY calm them down but will make her easier to find. As it happens I have an Apidea with a mated queen, just waiting to confirm worker brood.:) Watch this space.

Latest posts

Back