Im a little Stuck

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman1872

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last monday I performed an artificial swarm on my hive so I ended up with old queen in new hive on old site with some food and a frame of brood and queen cells in old hive on new site. I went to check on saturday and have a look in the new hive, no sign of queen and several smallish queen cells that had been capped over. Had a very quick peek in the old hive on the new site and found that they had started making queen cups after I destroyed all but one queen cell. Today is meant to be the day where I move the old hive to the other side of the new hive but after I have done that I am not really sure what to do. I have no idea where the old queen might be if she is still even in residence. Should I reunite the hives? Should I just leave them all a couple of weeks and let the new queens do their thing?

So 7 days ago you AS'd them. Old queen in new hive on old site, the queen was on a frame of brood, which you put in the new hive. You now can't find the old queen in the new hive, but you have some capped queen cells.

A couple of possibilities:

1) You missed some queen cells on the frame of brood, they have been capped and your old queen has swarmed.

or

2) The old queen didn't make it to the new hive, possibly fell off/flew off, and they have made some emergency cells from some larvae that happened to be on the frames.

If you are certain that you had no queen cells on the frame, then (2) is possible in 7 days. Doing the full cycle properly: queen lays egg -> sealed queen cell takes longer than 7 days - more like 9 days.

This is the bizzare thing there were absoloutely no queen cells on any of the frames put into the new hive not on the face of the comb or underneath. 7 days later in fact less than that as I inspected them on saturday there were sealed queen cells.
I know the queen definately went into the new hive as I saw her running around with her little green spot on her back on one frame as I actually put it in the new hive. D o queens sometimes fly off even when they have been artificially swarmed?

On top of this when the queen was in the old hive and I did my weekly check, she was still pottering about with four or five queen cells hanging from various frames. I don't really know why they were making queen cells to start with they must have had at least four frames of foundation 2 of which had been pulled and which the queen was laying in??

Last edited:
The hive has the swarming fever and it should be killed. .

It happens so that put to the old site a queen cell.
And leave queen cells to the new cite.

Try to get a laying queen to your old site false swarm.

To rear 3 weeks a new laying queen is too long time. Perhaps you get an emerged swarm queen or old cell from your frien. Or if you get a swarm.

It continues if you joint the parts and it tryes to swarm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back