Ignoring extra super....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Before swarming 3-4 weeks ago I put an extra super (totalling 3) on a hive as they were capping off honey and filling comb at a seemingly fast rate!

The bees now seem to have re queened and although I saw her recently (on her way back into hive) she had not started laying when I checked last week.

The super I added has been ignored! They are not even drawing comb! I have'nt wanted to disturb them too much but now wonder whether I should just remove it as honey production/capping slowed down after swarming and I doubt whether they will get round to this one although they do seem to have picked up now the weather has picked up a bit?

Should I take off the ignored super?

Many thanks

Before swarming 3-4 weeks ago I put an extra super (totalling 3) on a hive as they were capping off honey and filling comb at a seemingly fast rate!

The super I added has been ignored! They are not even drawing comb!

What happened to swarm?

But in general, when the swarm goes, it takes foragers and the hive cannot get surplus honey any more.

When the new queen start to lay, it takes 3 weeks that first new bees emerge. Then it takes 2 weeks that the new bees forage. Let's say, that new queen's bees start to forage after 6 weeks or 1,5 month.

So arrange the hive that bees have a proper space. Take extra off.

Tx Finman, will take the extra super off when I next check on them.

What happened to the swarm? Well fortunately I was there so a local beek helped me get them from my neighbours and they have been rehived and seem to be doing very well! Lots of activity and lovely grubs and eggs!

So, of course it is going to be a few weeks before the "old" hive reorganises itself so I will reconcile myself to little/no honey this year!!! Good job I am not doing this just for the honey then !!!

Latest posts

Back