If you missed it earlier - Martha Kearney on bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Who Killed the Honey Bee?
BBC2 - 7pm Fri May 15th
Martha Kearney examines the decline in the bee population due to a mystery affliction dubbed `colony collapse disorder', which is believed to have wiped out more than a third of the UK's colonies. The programme explores the effect the extinction of the insect and the loss of pollination would have on nature and the world's food supply.

Seen it, VERY highly recommended!

Not much figuring out needed :puke:.
Should carry a warning like Most scenes contain sickening content !!!

John Wilkinson

Not much figuring out needed :puke:.
Should carry a warning like Most scenes contain sickening content !!!

John Wilkinson

rubbish, its an interesting watch, end of story.

rubbish, its an interesting watch, end of story.

Please don't rubbish other peoples points of view !
Such heckling doesn't serve to enhance your kudos on this forum , believe me !

John Wilkinson

Definitely not a training movie then folks! A bit alarming given the sheer scale of it all.

Well thanks to Brosville for the heads up.

That was most enlightening on so many different levels.

just finished watching it. staggering.

the issue is that no one has the answers and it could have been happening for years.

no bees = no planet

governments need to wake up and start banning chemicals. NOW

S

Please don't rubbish other peoples points of view !
Such heckling doesn't serve to enhance your kudos on this forum , believe me !

John Wilkinson

I disagreed with you, get over it.

I disagreed with you, get over it.

A disagreement is a disagreement . Rubbishing someone is a different thing entirely .
I've got over it already perhaps you could get over your arrogance, it would be apprecia:cheers2:.

John Wilkinson

governments need to wake up and start banning chemicals

No chance of banning them all. They have banned some real nasties, but they don't ban anything unless blatantly dangerous, or there is an alternative. The latest generations of 'icides' are very efficient at much less concentrations than previous, and often are below the limits of available analytical techniques. That is 'good' for human consumption.

Agriculture could not be sustained without chemicals. It is propped up with these chemicals. Like a lot of things in the past, only looking back at the devastation caused by our actions, will we learn of our folly.

Regards, RAB

I am as anti-pesticide as the best of them (almost) but I can recognize bad tabloid journalism from a mile away and that is the problem with this program.

It was made by someone with limited knowledge who went looking for evidence to support a specific point of view and surprise surprise they found it.

I am going to temper my language and merely say.

Nonsense.

PH

"Agriculture could not be sustained without chemicals" - wrong, wrong, wrong, in every possible way..........
I won't "go off on one", suffice it to say that at the rate we're galumphing through fossil fuels, both for the power, and the chemical inputs used in "chemical" farming, poisoning the environment, and everything in it - which is also rapidly eroding the innate fertility of the land, we are on a hiding to nothing....... The planet cannot sustain this lunacy for much longer - we have to find a way to sustainable farming or we are as Will Self delicately puts it - "toast"....
There will not be affordable power to plough, there will not be affordable chemicals (we've already had a taste of it through high fuel prices) to continue anyway..... Permaculturalists have already demonstrated that they can DOUBLE the output of land by totally sustainable and organic means - these are the sort of avenues along which we must be seeking our futures- or there won't be one......

in 1895 they worried that if road transport kept on expanding they would be knee-deep in horse muck. Thank goodness for the internal combustion engine.

"bad tabloid journalism" - utter rhubarb! It was a well-researched piece by one of the most respected tele-journalists in the country, who is herself a beekeeper.......... I'd hardly think her pedigree warrants "tabloid" comments at all, unless you wish to include things like "Newsnight"........
It IS sensational, not through journalistic hyperbole, but because it is such a shocking story.........:svengo:

Last edited:
I thought the programme showed a scant respect for bees.

They were handled disgracefully, sent on long journeys in hot conditions, banged around at the new site- and some areas seemed as though nectar and protein were in short supply. Then we Man/Woman throw pesticides at them - and they ask why they are in demise.
WAKE UP AND SMELL IT - OR WE WILL BE IN IT:ack2:

Back