If you had unlimited resources...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
Okay not quite but if you were able to buy any extractor which would you recommend for a group of new beeks that hopefully have access to some funding and would like to buy a "community" extractor.

The requirements are that it should be:
1. easy to use
2. take majority of frames (incl 14 x12)
3. be robust enough for multiple use by different users (prob extracting 2-4 hives worth of honey at a time)
4. mobile ish (maximum 2 people to move)
5. be easy to clean and require low maintainance (annual service only!)
6. anything else we've forgotten thats essential

What would you choose if a) budget was not a problem - delux version or b) limited budget-value end of market?
Cheers

Good question...interested to see what people recommend. Might get as far as buying one ourselves at some point in the future :)

Good question...interested to see what people recommend. Might get as far as buying one ourselves at some point in the future :)

14x12 is the problem, if you want that, it would need to take tangental 14 x12 frames as well as radial super frames, only one i have seen is a 9 frame radial or three tangential by park bees of blackheath, he has a large stand at stoneligh in spring and has the most extractors

if ineed to extract a 14x12...and very very rare , i just put it above the crown board and the bees do it

http://www.parkbeekeeping.com/index.php?s=5#cat1..email him

but other may do similar

I dont think that my recommendation would vary on price because your criteria are in themselves restrictive. There is an assumption that with multiple users each with 2-4 hives that not everyone has a well equiped bees shed come extraction room!
You say 2-4 hives so call that 8 supers to extract on a visit. So thats 8 loads on a 9 spacing per extraction process
You want to extrac t 14x12's not sure why on a regular basis but okay
Easy to clean - that means you need a cold rinse followed by a warm rinse - could be via a hose pipe outside or stick it in the bath with a shower head
It must be mobile and given amount of travel durable.
Presumably needs to fit in an estate car?

Big jump between 9 frame and 12 frame extractors, given it will save you 2 extraction cycles perhaps twice a year is that a worthy investment - I say no
so 9 frame radial with a 3 frame tangential alternative cage (may need modification to fit 14x12's so may be a two frame tangential alternate cage (again why?)
Material probably UV stable Polyethylene - stainless will get dented quickly with all that moving and is probably heavier (a 12 frame becaomes disproportionately heavy to a 9 frame by the way )
Manual powered (unless motor can be easily removed for transit)
Low complexity so servicing should be self administered
Cost about £350 plus your special 14x12 cage

Thanks for advice
Especially about stainless steel denting.

If we removed the 14 x 12 requirement (havent asked requestor why they need this, but will check) would you still recommend the same type?

If its a group purchase, then all use the same frames and then buy the best you can afford.

Thanks for advice
Especially about stainless steel denting.

If we removed the 14 x 12 requirement (havent asked requestor why they need this, but will check) would you still recommend the same type?

Yes, 9 frame radial uv stable plastic meets all your requirements and allows tangential 3 frame extraction if you need to (e.g. heather). I would not even bother with a motor but since you said money no object .........

I bought the 9 frame with the tangential 3 frame extraction option- motorised. best purchase yet :party: getting too 'mature' to do manual - and the extra honey I squeeze out will eventually pay for itl

The Thornes Universal range will take every type of super frame that you find in the UK, Manley included.

Just be aware that the Thornes 9 frame on legs comes with a slightly shorter body that the one without legs (yes it does).

If you are running langstroth (I see you haven't specified a hive type) then the tolerance at the top for these longer frames is very small and they can touch the lid.

I know this from personal experience.

To be fair, Thornes sorted it out in the end.

As for electric or manual, if money isn't a problem go for electric.

Lol, I'm getting carried away with myself.....only got 1 hive ( for now, seems they multiply though ;) ) and I'm dreaming up a honey extracting factory next to the allotments. The grumpy old man who moaned about the site clearance might have something to say about THAT! :)

Lol, I'm getting carried away with myself.....only got 1 hive ( for now, seems they multiply though ;) ) and I'm dreaming up a honey extracting factory next to the allotments. The grumpy old man who moaned about the site clearance might have something to say about THAT! :)

We have a grumpy on our alottments, he moaned about us having "Killer Bees"

Irony was he had a wasp nest in his compost bin.bee-smillie

We have a grumpy on our alottments, he moaned about us having "Killer Bees"

Irony was he had a wasp nest in his compost bin.bee-smillie

LOL :D :D :D :D

There's one next to our project, when he found out we were getting bees, he had a grumble. To be fair he didn't take it any further though. His plot is sort of sunken, and our bees have an enclosure ( see my pics ;) ) so the bees fly about 15 - 20 ft above his plot, he didn't even know they were there for 4 days, and then only because someone told him :)

To be fair a previous memberhad bees next to him and they swarmed on his plot.

Mine swarmed a couple of weeks ago while I was there. Bees swarming can be quite intimdating, even if they are at their most harmless.

Have you had the "Pleasure" of seeing a swarm come out the hive?;)

Back