If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is - anybody heard of Mike Mcinnes MRPS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way to test whether honey (mainly glucose and fructose) as a sweetener rather than sugar (sucrose) would delay dementia would be to conduct a long term trial comparing the two by cognitive testing.

For your interest, I'm currently taking part in a prospective 3-year trial of Vitamin D v. placebo to compare cognitive decline in the two groups. This Vitamind Study is run by University of Exeter College of Medicine and Health. I can't give you a direct link because we recruits are part of a bigger study of 50,000 folk over age 50 measuring cognitive function over the next 25 years. I've been doing it for five years now. I think they are still recruiting.

https://www.protectstudy.org.uk
I complete tests of cognitive function once a year - tests of memory, reasoning and attention. Also an extensive questionnaire on health, life style, exercise, smoking history etc. and ability to perform daily tasks eg manage personal finances. Optionally you can nominate an informant (SWMBO in my case) who is asked to report their confidential version of the subject's performance (!).

In between the annual testing you can partake in optional 'brain games' on their website - I'm too lazy.

Have a go if you're over 50 and don't have dementia!

The only way to test whether honey (mainly glucose and fructose) as a sweetener rather than sugar (sucrose) would delay dementia would be to conduct a long term trial comparing the two by cognitive testing.

For your interest, I'm currently taking part in a prospective 3-year trial of Vitamin D v. placebo to compare cognitive decline in the two groups. This Vitamind Study is run by University of Exeter College of Medicine and Health. I can't give you a direct link because we recruits are part of a bigger study of 50,000 folk over age 50 measuring cognitive function over the next 25 years. I've been doing it for five years now. I think they are still recruiting.

I complete tests of cognitive function once a year - tests of memory, reasoning and attention. Also an extensive questionnaire on health, life style, exercise, smoking history etc. and ability to perform daily tasks eg manage personal finances. Optionally you can nominate an informant (SWMBO in my case) who is asked to report their confidential version of the subject's performance (!).

In between the annual testing you can partake in optional 'brain games' on their website - I'm too lazy.

Edit: I forgot the important bit: you provide a saliva sample for DNA analysis.

"Here, we report a new bioactive component‒vesicle‐like nanoparticles‒in honey (H‐VLNs). These H‐VLNs are membrane‐bound nano‐scale particles that contain lipids, proteins and small‐sized RNAs. The presence of plant‐originated plasma transmembrane proteins and plasma membrane‐associated proteins suggests the potential vesicle‐like nature of these particles. H‐VLNs impede the formation and activation of the nucleotide‐binding domain and leucine‐rich repeat related (NLR) family, pyrin domain containing 3 (NLRP3) inflammasome, which is a crucial inflammatory signalling platform in the innate immune system. Intraperitoneal administration of H‐VLNs in mice alleviates inflammation and liver damage in the experimentally induced acute liver injury. miR‐4057 in H‐VLNs was identified in inhibiting NLRP3 inflammasome activation. Together, our studies have identified anti‐inflammatory VLNs as a new bioactive agent in honey."

Here is the whole enchilada if you are famished for some other components in the elixir:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jev2.12069

I'm on the Protect study also!

Sprinkle iron filings in a magnetic field and then say that again
;)

Yes, because the 'force lines' that dowsing 'reveals' are both magnetic fields strong enough to interact with iron filings and undetectable to equipment except a magic wand dowsing rod and not some vague woo-woo energy that signifies whatever the dowser believes it does.

Try harder.

In his blurb he says he is a retired pharmacist so probably Royal Pharmaceutical Society, don't you think?

Treating diabetes with honey, which is largely a mixture of sugars, is counter-intuitive to say the least.

CVB
I think his point is that if peopl consume honey instead of sugar the conditions he highlights will be avoided. This is about prevention, not cure.
It is mostly rubbish.
What does antidiabetic mean? Only the medication diabetics take is antidiabetic. There is something about honey stimulating the production of insulin. I am sure that is true but diabetics either do not have the capacity to produce enough insulin(type 1) or the tissues are resistant to it (type 2).
The glycemic index of honey is less than sucrose, due to the fructose content and the other more complex sugars, that is all. It is still "sugar". I agree with Indibee that we are justified in stating that it is "better than sugar" for several reasons.
If you want to "cure" your type 2 diabetes and you haven't had it too long then get your BMI to 22 or below and take more exercise. You may be able to get off your medication. It will still be in the background but is well worth doing as it will reduce the risk of the complications of DM2.
Sugar is addictive, is honey as addictive? If we switch to honey and do not consume refined sugars will our desire for sweetness decrease? Type II diabetes is reversible if dealt with early enough.

Yes, because the 'force lines' that dowsing 'reveals' are both magnetic fields strong enough to interact with iron filings and undetectable to equipment except a magic wand dowsing rod and not some vague woo-woo energy that signifies whatever the dowser believes it does.

Try harder.
I'm only going to say this once and don't bother replying because I'm not going to give you any more oxygen to continue your rude dismissal of something that, whilst not fully understood, works.

Dowsing has been around for centuries ... it works for many things including finding lines of energy which do have an effect on and must be detectable by the bees. Just because you don't believe it there is no need to disparage those of us who have tried it and found that it does work.

There are plenty of previous threads that you can go through for your entertainment- no need to waste time polluting this one.

I'm only going to say this once and don't bother replying because I'm not going to give you any more oxygen to continue your rude dismissal of something that, whilst not fully understood, works.

Dowsing has been around for centuries ... it works for many things including finding lines of energy which do have an effect on and must be detectable by the bees. Just because you don't believe it there is no need to disparage those of us who have tried it and found that it does work.

There are plenty of previous threads that you can go through for your entertainment- no need to waste time polluting this one.

You forgot to add: "Dowsing only works for a few people. Most ? Many? try and fail to get anywhere.

I do not disparage those of the population who detect unseen energy forces. There is enough evidence to show it does work for some people in some circumstances.

But NOT ME Philip. So I think you are a bunch of misty out stoned out old has been hippies :);):(:mad::confused::cool:

edit : I see on reading my post I am disparaging dowsers.. I apologise for the Merlot.

You forgot to add: "Dowsing only works for a few people. Most ? Many? try and fail to get anywhere.

I do not disparage those of the population who detect unseen energy forces. There is enough evidence to show it does work for some people in some circumstances.

But NOT ME Philip. So I think you are a bunch of misty out stoned out old has been hippies :);):(:mad::confused::cool:

edit : I see on reading my post I am disparaging dowsers.. I apologise for the Merlot.

RFOL ... not having had my hair cut since February 2020 ... at least part of your description fits !

I know dowsing does not work for everyone and I've also discovered that some people who don't accept that it works are (suprisingly) capable of dowsing .... they then struggle to find reasons why the rods have worked in their hands !

You can convince some of the people some of the time but you will never convince all of the people all of the time ...

RFOL ... not having had my hair cut since February 2020 ... at least part of your description fits !

I know dowsing does not work for everyone and I've also discovered that some people who don't accept that it works are (suprisingly) capable of dowsing .... they then struggle to find reasons why the rods have worked in their hands !

You can convince some of the people some of the time but you will never convince all of the people all of the time ...
My hair is the longest since the 1970s.

BUT I still cannot dowse despite first reading a book about it and hidden energy flows when a student in the 1960s and trying and failing to dowse. SO a consistent failure over 60 years.. (story of my life!:cool:)

I know dowsing does not work for everyone and I've also discovered that some people who don't accept that it works are (surprisingly) capable of dowsing .... they then struggle to find reasons why the rods have worked in their hands !

The reason the rods move is the Ideomotor response. Ideomotor Response (sorry sceptical website so maybe you will think they are biased to the negative point of view).

Have you ever tried dowsing blind folded with someone to see the response? If so did it work?

Latest posts

Back