IDIOTS' CORNER - Newbee, out and proud!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol I have a problem remembering things so sometimes even when I think I come up with nothing

I have to say I am surprised that there is such strong feeling among 'newbies' about unhelpful replies on this forum. I think it is pretty wonderful.

I still consider myself a new beekeeper, since this is just my fourth year - four years is quite long enough to know that you will never, ever, have all of the answers. I read the forum nearly every day, and am constantly encouraged by how many experienced beekeepers are so willing to share their knowledge.

I, too, have occasionally felt the rough edge of someone's tongue. Usually, this has been because I have asked a question without providing enough information for anyone to provide a meaningful reply. So I put that down to my failings rather than anyone else's short-temper.

I would not wish to see things change, if this meant that I could no longer get help on here (even at the risk of the occasional sharp word). If I did not like it, then I guess I would do what I do when faced with a television programme I do not enjoy...

It might have only been his for five weeks and someone else's before that!!!
Just a thought!!

Fairly obvious when one knows. Initially I thought, 'that is doing well for the weather we had been experiencing'. Then I noted it was an overwintered nuc. A somewhat different ball game.

I did not call the poster a liar or anything, just pointed out that the previous post was misleading. There might be many new beeks out there reading that and thinking "mine are not doing much, what am I doing wrong?"

Possibly a case of one poster not thinking (yes, likely that). It may have been motivated in other ways and I am not really bothered that much either way. All I did was put the post in true perspective. If the poster turns out to be nasty about it, so be it.

Likely one of swarms mates, they seem to go together quite well and seem to be of similar disposition.

Whoa! Struck a chord, I think.

Personally, I do like the "Stop and think" responses such as RAB posts.
I like that challenge.

As long as it doesn't make the recipient feel diminished.

So, let's have the id*ot questions.

Dusty.

I don't think I've been nasty and I don't lie!
You didn't call me a liar but pointed out that I might be!
I apologise for misleading everyone over my 5 week old nuc! It must be older than that! Duh! I just bought it 5 weeks ago! Should have known it was older!
I'm glad you're not bothered!
Maybe swarm can pm me so I can join the group?
Enough said!

Question: what does AMM stand for? Lol!

An Idiots Question!

Here's an idiots question for anyone to answer then.:iamwithstupid:

So I have a Warre hive, I like the "leave them to get on with it" approach. Chinabees beautiful photos of wild comb dripping with honey would be my aspiration. BUT:- after reading about swarms this year crawling with varoa how am I ever going to have a health colony? The manipulations and treatments advised by the defra people seem so difficult and agaist the principle of minimum disdurbance.

Well first, I think this is a great fourm.

Mostly people are helpful and informative but....

I think beekeepers are a really strange lot on the whole. Sorry, before I get shot down, many beekeepers are strange or possibly it's just some and they like to be heard.

Many do like to bicker and have a I know best approach.

Personally I feel many do need to take a chill pill!!

Many discussions end in full scale arguments and probably arise simply because there are many variable involved in beekeeping so people's experiences are different.

For example a discussion earlier today on wing clipping had somebody on one side saying that it does not causes balling whilst others have seen it happen on a number of ocassions.

Well how can that bee (sorry).

Well possibly it to do with different bee types but clearly there is something different as I believe both beekeepers.

Glad you got your bees Dusty! Good Luck!

I watched someone take all the wild comb with brood off - and put it in a feeder. She swore that from previous experience the bees care for it and hatch it without an issue.

The forum works if you choose who you trust and go by their answers - and as far as I know a demaree is something complicated I haven't used/needed yet! :)

may be another stupid question but on 06/05/12 my bees swarmed i collected the swarm but i think it was a cast as i couldnt see my marked q couldnt see any q,put them in a 6 frame nuc then a week later my now main hive swarmed again so i collected and put this swarm in 2 supers for the time being then thought id better check main hive to see how many q cells are in there opened up and found about 12 heard q piping and replying quacks so i took out 3 frames that contained the cells and put these in a brood box and the super containing second swarm on top,now 2 hives bb + super and a 6 frame nuc checked again today no eggs no brood capped or uncapped but lots of stores honey and pollen bees seem calm again now and i couldnt see any of the queens but im no that good at spotting queens yet,but im worried as there is no eggs and brood would the queen(s) be mated and just waiting to lay as the bees are calm or could they have died or gone and bees are calm because they are working or should i just give them another week or two before considering buying a mated q if possible sorry for such a long post

Phayze,

If a prime, your queen would be laying in a few days (exception is a lost clipped queen).

Not sure from your post what is what now - perhaps a bulleted account would be easier to undersatand than one para?

A second swarm will be (so was) a cast.

Virgins are not easy to spot. A swarm with a virgin queen will take a week or two or three to start laying, dependent on weather etc.

Be patient. Things take time.

Last edited:
thanks i think i missed the prime as both swarms were small and i couldnt see my marked q so im guessing i have 3 collonies with virgin qs just hope they last long enough for the qs to get mated and start laying
6 may nuc with possible virgin q
13 may bb + super with possible virgin q and approx 12 q cells empty i presume as no piping or quacking from this hive
13 may last time i heard piping from main hive with possible virgin q
thanks again 090

Hi Phayze
I don't think I'd feel confident enough after a few years of beekeeping to rely on hearing my queens piping and make decisions based on that - especially if you are new it might be safer to go down the artificial swarm routes?
the risk you are taking by leaving a lot of Q cells is they will throw out cast after cast until there's nothing left. I know the theory says to leave only the best 2 uncapped qcs and you'll end up with 1 queen but I seem to end up with 2 who both disappear!
Thinking positively, though, you've been splitting to increase your hives rather than AS ing them and, as RAB says, in the next week or so you should have laying queens :)

If you do something wrong and someone says "bless you" will forget what you done wrong and you will never learn and you will keep making the same mistake, but if someone says to you "what do you think" you will think, look it up, revise a bit, digest it, and you will never forget it. I made a horrid mistake in my first year of beekeeping and I will never do that again as I read a booklet again and again so I knew it word for word. What I find very helpful on this forum is the experience of other beekeepers who probably have forgotten more than I know and the diversity of answers will enable you to decide what is best for you.

We threw ourselves in at the deep end, no bee keeping courses on account of not hearing well with burst ear drums. So it was make some hives get some bees and learn from there , and I have to say without the help of susbees not worthy we would have been up the creak without a paddle. Some of the questions we have asked have been stupid as we now know but asking them just pointed us in the right direction , we have found lots of info on the forum and we are still learning heaps , will be along time before we are experienced enough to give the answers so carry on answering all of you in the know ;)

Whoa! Struck a chord, I think.

And well done for that, long overdue.

Personally, I do like the "Stop and think" responses such as RAB posts.
I like that challenge.

We covered that at Primary School and learned it very well, so it's condescending at the least unless said in a conversational aspect (I'll explain if necessary but a la PH should suffice).

Someone asks a question, surely we don't tell them to think, we tell them our answer, give them the advice, refer them to information. In their mind should be the thought "Ah, I see ...." IMHO of course.

But, when some condescending little tick rebukes someone with taunts, sarcasm or name calling; it does make you think what they may have done to their children while they were unable to bite back.

As long as it doesn't make the recipient feel diminished.

So, let's have the id*ot questions.

Don't diminish yourself or make others think they are asking fool questions by saying such a thing!

Dusty.

Glad to see newbies kicking the traces at unnecessary, archaic, outmoded "teaching" habits. :cool:

They will bring in the cane next :rolleyes:

OK maybe I am one of the lucky ones, or maybe I have been on too many forums now to be bothered by any sarcastic or pointed comments! but I came to this forum earlier this year (joined last year but was just reading) in an abject panic over an issue with my bees.
I got clear, sensible advice.
I also got local bee keepers who contacted me offering advice and understanding that I have been unable to attend a training course due to my erratic shifts!
I was amazed at how some very experienced people could pick up from my very small description of events, exactly what was going on.

I have to say I have read some threads and breathed in sharply at the remarks made! But the internet and written word just does not carry the inflections and body language that show if things were meant in humour, so I just presume/ hope they are!!!!

I enjoy bee keeping, and I have now met a number of people with such a passion and drive for bee keeping that I feel motivated to keep trying even after I lost my first colony this year. A mistake is not a mistake if you learn from it. I have learnt a lot over this last year and the steep learning curve continues!!!

Latest posts

Back