Identifying debris

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Pulled the base board out and found bits I’d really like identified. Have an OMF in the hive.
Can anyone help identify what the small black bits are in the top right of the first images and503108DB-48BD-46C8-86B9-A143661ED945.jpegB72C3F6E-5D6F-44B9-87D8-2485828DC5F6.jpeg again in the bottom right of second image? And the brown and yellow blobs in the second image? I guess the white cappings are stores cappings, but I read somewhere that the black bits may be sign of some disease?
Thanks

Hi
Pulled the base board out and found bits I’d really like identified. Have an OMF in the hive.
Can anyone help identify what the small black bits are in the top right of the first images andView attachment 22284View attachment 22285 again in the bottom right of second image? And the brown and yellow blobs in the second image? I guess the white cappings are stores cappings, but I read somewhere that the black bits may be sign of some disease?
Thanks
Earwig poo ....

I find that keeping the inspection board under the OMF (approx 5cm) through the winter gives me a chance to read what is going on. You can see where the cluster is, how big it is, signs of problems etc. Even how much they are eating.
It is akin to reading the hive by observing the entrance.

Waxmoth larvae poo also looks very similar to earwig poo. Yellow "bits" are clumps of pollen that falls off (or dumped?) foragers legs and drops through mesh. Not sure about brown blobs. White flakes are wax scales from undersides of workers abdomens

Last edited:
Waxmoth larvae poo looks very familiar to earwig poo. Yellow "bits" are clumps of pollen that falls off (or dumped?) foragers legs and drops through mesh. Not sure about brown blobs. White flakes are wax scales from undersides of workers abdomens
Yes ... although beneath an OMF I would be more inclined to think that it's earwigs cleaning up the debris on the board and leaving their calling cards behind. If there were wax moth grubs (and I have occasionally seen them on inspection boards) I would expect to see wax moth grubs as well as the debris. Earwigs tend to hide away ...

Waxmoth larvae poo looks very familiar to earwig poo. Yellow "bits" are clumps of pollen that falls off (or dumped?) foragers legs and drops through mesh. Not sure about brown blobs. White flakes are wax scales from undersides of workers abdomens
I've never had wax moth so I wouldn't know but I've seen earwig poo on an inspection board.
After looking again I think your right @pargyle ..
Just a thought to the op, I would change the inspection board for a bit of poly carb or the like, you won't get the mold on them so much and there easier to clean with hot soapy water.
Ps did you notice earwigs on the crown board or underside of the roof?
They will go there to keep warm and dry and as pargyle has said they enjoy a bit of debris.. Nothing to worry about.

Hi
Can anyone help identify what the small black bits are in the top right of the first images andView attachment 22284View attachment 22285 again in the bottom right of second image? And the brown and yellow blobs in the second image? I guess the white cappings are stores cappings, but I read somewhere that the black bits may be sign of some disease?
Thanks

LeaBees, perhaps see if you can get a closer and focussed image of the poo to help with identification?

Small and black and poo shaped ... there's not much else that it can be on the inspection board.
I have seen earwigs around/on the hive from time to time, but never really considered what their poo looks like. makes sense. I will try to improve picture image this evening.
thanks all

I have seen earwigs around/on the hive from time to time, but never really considered what their poo looks like. makes sense. I will try to improve picture image this evening.
thanks all
There seems to be more around this year.. I've noticed quite a few on the flowers in the evening I presume they are eating pollen??

At last ! always wondered what the brown bits were!

Never occurred to me that it would be earwig poo even though always had loads of them in my hives. This evening disturbed a whole bundle of them, taken me years not to squirm when I find them.

At last ! always wondered what the brown bits were!

Never occurred to me that it would be earwig poo even though always had loads of them in my hives. This evening disturbed a whole bundle of them, taken me years not to squirm when I find them.

They provide a valuable service - they clean up a lot of pollen debris, they will prey on aphids and mites, dead or alive and other minor insects, they are basically carnivores but are also opportunits and will eat a variety of stuff .. the bees tolerate them - nothing much to hate about them really.

You might not want to have them infest your kitchen but around the hives not much of a problem.

Latest posts

Back