Identification please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All,

Spotted this little creature among the bees on the lavender. Never see anything like it before. I first thought it was a humming bird. It was hovering around the plant with serious aerial ability. Would describe it as furry with butterfly wings.

20200915_154052_R.jpg
20200915_154129_R.jpg
20200915_154132_R.jpg
20200915_154135_R.jpg

A visitor to the shores of UK & Eire during early summer.
Though successful at mating, winter survival is low I believe. Milder winters will see them hopefully increase.

Think this is the baby version of your moth found on the lawn last week.

Can someone identify these willow catkins please? Greenish with tiny black bits, leaves about to open are oval. Not my regular bright yellow-pollened male goat willow.
Willow 3 (2).jpg

Goat Willow
Female tree

Ah, thanks for that. SWMBO and I spotted those green ones this morning on a walk - several willows, some with bright yellow pollen. In our ignorance we said, of the green ones, 'those have gone over'. Never too late to learn.

Ah, thanks for that. SWMBO and I spotted those green ones this morning on a walk - several willows, some with bright yellow pollen. In our ignorance we said, of the green ones, 'those have gone over'. Never too late to learn.
Later on they get really fluffy and the fluff floats about all over the place.
We have a black poplar that is even fluffier.

Erichalfbee and Boston Bees both agree femsle catkins. How can l tell whether Goat or Grey?
As male and female catkins on separate trees, do both need to flower at the same time to ensure pollination? My male trees have finished while this female tree is only just starting.
Male catkins very obviously offer pollen for bees and, l understand, nectar. Are female catkins as prolific although much less spectacular?

With difficulty.

Your pic was a bit blurry so hard to be sure.

More pics on these pages will help you choose:

https://www.304220.temp-dns.com/species/grey-willow
https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/goat-willow
Yes, sorry my pics are always a bit blurry, no smart phone so l use ny kindle fire which isn't the best, also it was very windy today, also l'm rubbish at photography.
Thanks for the very useful links, from which l've decided it must be Goat willow, not least because Grey willow is only common in central and eastern England, also damp or boggy places, neither of which apply.

Latest posts

Back