ideas please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
I recieved a call today from a council tennat. On arriving i saw a large amount of bees in the air. They told me that they was not there yesterday. So me thinking a swarm had just found a new home, i believed it would be a quick job. so pulled the wooden facia off and had a look. i could see the bees hanging from the roof.
I removed the other facia and had a good look. :banghead:. just above the small window is a hole about 1 inch across. the little ******ds have set up home behind the black board.

So this is where you come in. i will be returning tomorrow in the hope i can remove them. The only way i can think of removing them is via the bedroom roof or the velt roof, but im 99.999% sure that the council will NOT pick up the repair bill. However im going ready with some powder to kill them if i have to :(

TB,
If you kill those bees you are liable for any subsequent damage to neighbours bees and vulnerable to a hefty fine if caught (> £1k in a recent case involving a pest controller). Why do you feel it's your responsibility to kill bees anyway?
Those bees have clearly just arrived. Place a box with old comb as close as possible and hope for the best. It works occasionally. The bees might also just clear off elsewhere. Otherwise just apologize and say goodbye would be my advice.
Regards
Chris

The council may well bill you if you damage anything, unless you had permission to do the job. The council tenant doesn't have the right to authorise the work.
Not trying to be negative but I know how the councils work as I work for one. You could try to smoke them out if you cant get easy access.

Last edited:
TB,
If you kill those bees you are liable for any subsequent damage to neighbours bees and vulnerable to a hefty fine if caught (> £1k in a recent case involving a pest controller). Why do you feel it's your responsibility to kill bees anyway?
Those bees have clearly just arrived. Place a box with old comb as close as possible and hope for the best. It works occasionally. The bees might also just clear off elsewhere. Otherwise just apologize and say goodbye would be my advice.
Regards
Chris

They have made a home in the roof. what do you think? a bait hive i do have some lures?

The council may well bill you if you damage anything, unless you had permission to do the job. The council tenant doesn't have the right to authorise the work.
Not trying to be negative but I know how the councils work as I work for one.

she is going to call the council for permission to remove them though the mentioned methods.

TB,
Regards
Chris
£1k ?, I don't think honeybees are a protected species ?

John Wilkinson

They are not protected but if you use poison on them and that kills someone elses bees you would be liable. The pest controller in that case didnt make sure that no other bees could gain access. Lots of pest controllers will now not touch bees for that reason.

They have made a home in the roof. what do you think? a bait hive i do have some lures?

Worth a try. Swarms don't always stay even in a place of their own choosing. I got a small swarm out of a chimney once via a bait hive placed on top of the chimney. Or more accurately, the house owner borrowed my bee suit and did it as I couldn't overcome the vertigo. Never again.

Do you subscribe to Beecraft? If so, this month (May) has an article on how to remove bees in situations similar to yourself.

I dont know if it would work for your situation but it may be worth having a read.

So it does and there is a major item not mentioned.

No prize to the bright spark that spots it...

PH

Back