Ideas anyone ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I found this on the landing board of a nucleus hive .
Wasps carry tape worms .
Incidentally wasps are noticeable by their absence this year ?

Randomshots014.jpg

John Wilkinson

It looks like the slivers of foundation I cut off when fitting it to frames?

Wasps have moved to Suffolk for the summer party season.
Cazza

It looks like the slivers of foundation I cut off when fitting it to frames?

Wasps have moved to Suffolk for the summer party season.
Cazza
That's what I thought on first seeing it :D.
Bee,s don't drag bits of foundation out ? A mouse ? Nah!, not during the active season! .
I only realised what it was on picking it up :D.

John

Wasps have given up bees for the moment and are concentrating on my raspberries... gotta be careful not to pick a rasp and get stung by a wasp....

My father-in-law had a sip from his can of fizzy yesterday and ended up with a fat lip from a wasp sting:willy_nilly:

Wasps are spectacular here by their absence. Yet to see one at the hives and none in the garden here. Not complaining by the way!

PH

GO TO THE TOP OF THE CLASS AND JUMP OFF!!
Got it in one:nature-smiley-016:

This nuc was 5 framed ,When I looked after one week the bees had drawn natural comb where the missing frame should have been LOL.
I trimmed it to fit a bs frame and held it in place with elastic bands ;)
I hope my bees don't suffer from latex allergy :coolgleamA:

John

John , that explains why you have seen no wasps. Your girls have clearly become inventive and have been using said lacky band to catapult wasp carcases well away from the hive. No Apis trebuchet's here but it is the same in my part of Yorks - no wasps to speak of, traps just going mouldy!

Maybe the cold Winter did for a lot of the hibernating Queens ?
I did see a Queen entering a hole in the banking behind my hives in Spring time , I quickly stamped on it and flattened the area around with my size 12s :cuss:
I think I got her , no exiting hole ,I checked for days :cuss:

John

It's one of those stick on "no parking" lines for road works....

did 18 grafts the other day on the L Rover wing (good workbench) more wasps on the frame than bees, Bxxxxy things and ignoring my traps at present

Latest posts

Back