Id please - "grasshopper" and caterpillars devouring gooseberry bush

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have recently bought a gooseberry bush and today noticed that the leaves are rapidly being eaten down to the stems. I thought of gooseberry saw fly but the two adult insects look like grasshoppers - bright green with a brown streak down the upper side of its abdomen. There were a few tiny bright green caterpillars on the foliage and on the compost. Grateful for Id (apols, not a native bee or wasp)

Attachments

• 0F7EB613-1FB1-4DE4-866A-3321C4551771.jpeg
    0F7EB613-1FB1-4DE4-866A-3321C4551771.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 36C7FBE9-026C-47DD-A6EB-446B4A9D1158.jpeg
    36C7FBE9-026C-47DD-A6EB-446B4A9D1158.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • A77F2E3D-189A-463C-8C99-F8A03DC50A9D.jpeg
    A77F2E3D-189A-463C-8C99-F8A03DC50A9D.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 36
I have recently bought a gooseberry bush and today noticed that the leaves are rapidly being eaten down to the stems. I thought of gooseberry saw fly but the two adult insects look like grasshoppers - bright green with a brown streak down the upper side of its abdomen. There were a few tiny bright green caterpillars on the foliage and on the compost. Grateful for Id (apols, not a native bee or wasp)

Speckled bush cricket (maybe)

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-w...rates/beetles-and-bugs/speckled-bush-cricket/
Edit: Upon further review I'm pretty confident.

PS Bluebell, are you an entomologist? I've just looked up bush crickets: six species illustrated in my Readers Digest (!) manual. The thing that amazes me is that, not only are they all different species, they're all different genera! I take my hat off to taxonomists who can focus down to such minutiae......

PS Bluebell, are you an entomologist? I've just looked up bush crickets: six species illustrated in my Readers Digest (!) manual. The thing that amazes me is that, not only are they all different species, they're all different genera! I take my hat off to taxonomists who can focus down to such minutiae......

Nope. I'm just very curious. If I see or hear something in nature that I'm unsure of, I will search and search online until I can identify it. I can get distracted very easily by bird song :)

My gooseberry bushes have been completely stripped of leaves this year. Didn't see it happening but I have been left with just the branches and the berries (which are very small this year).

My gooseberry bushes have been completely stripped of leaves this year. Didn't see it happening but I have been left with just the branches and the berries (which are very small this year).
Get yourself some dipel or xentari. Will sort the sawfly larvae and your supers

Latest posts

Back