icing sugar and oxalic acid advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieB

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is there anywhere I can find precise instructions on how to do these techniques or are there any video clips on youtube I can watch.

"sprinkling" and "trickling" don't seem precise enough to me

thanks

I found some video on You tube. Don't know how much detail you need and I'm new so others may well give a much better answer! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht4hVbSraHg&feature=related[/ame]

There is loads of papers on the net. Just google away. Lok for the recent papers as recommendations have changed.

Basically 5 cm cubes per seam of bees. Can't be much simpler than that.

Sprinkling is a waste of icing ugar in my opinion. I would 'roll' them as a technique, when the bees are without capped brood.

Regards, RAB

Is there anywhere I can find precise instructions on how to do these techniques or are there any video clips on youtube I can watch.

thanks

Fera/CSL/Bee Base don't want to do us beeks a good guide, so it's a case of looking around on the internet and looking at advice in other countries. New Zealand Government have some good advice.

OK, thanks for that

Where are you in UK? Have you a mentor?
Trickling is easy- use a syringe and allow 5mls of the very correct solution of Oxalic syrup to 'trickle' between each frame of bees (that is known as a seam of bees)

Fera/CSL/Bee Base don't want to do us beeks a good guide, so it's a case of looking around on the internet and looking at advice in other countries. New Zealand Government have some good advice.

Have no legal advice to give , is nearer the truth.
Don't want is both unfair and inaccurate .

John Wilkinson

thanks

SusieB,

Oxalic acid, whether trickled or evaporated, is not usually applicable at this time of the year, unless you have just collected a swarm (unlikely) or done any other swarm technique (also unlikely). At this time of the year, providing the ambient temperature remains above 15C, a thymol based application of, a say, Apiguard is appropriate. Apiguard takes 4 weeks or so for the full treatment. The point is that the first application lasts 2 weeks and deals with varroa on the bees before the mites can move from the bees and enter brood cells. The second stage deals with varroa that were already in capped cells waiting for bees to emerge. Having got that done, you then wait until about Xmas to do the oxalic acid trickling treatment at a rate of 5ml per seam of bees in the brood box(es). For a novice it is best to get a ready prepared mixture, of the correct strength, and applicator syringe. If I have misunderstood your query please ignore this response.

Apologies in advance for bringing uncertainty into this thread, but I will!

Discussed this very topic with the SBI last week. In the context of 5ml of 3.2%oxalic in 1:1 sugar per seam of bees - but what size seam?

As an experiment on spring build up I am wintering 1 of my colonies on 2.5 brood i.e. 14x12 + Std Nat Brood box. They are currently on 16 frames with 8 frames brood the rest is already full of stores without any help. I asked the question of the SBI "If 5ml per seem for a nat brood box depth 'seem' of bees how much for a 2.5 brood seem of bees (assuming a proportional increase in winter numbers and HM is showing all the signs of obliging in that respect).

We decided that it depends how far down the bees project from the top bar - but then didn't get as far as an answer and agreed we would not take a hive aprt in january to find out.

What d'ya reckon?

Latest posts

Back