I won

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
My honey won best honey in show at our local association competition last night. I am well chuffed it came first out of 17 entries. :cheers2:

First time I have entered as well.

Well done VEG.

I do not show my honey because the heating and straining that goes on before the settling tank and then bottling changes the consistency of the honey from the pure honey, to a processed product.

We do have a separate class labelled 'the Black jar', which is for honey that has come straight from the hive with no heating of straining out of bits. The 1lb jar is covered in aluminium foil so the Judge does not see the colour of the honey.

I do not show because in my opinion when honey has been heated and strained through sieves, tights, cloths etc then it changes the whole concept of the wording 'Pure Honey'.

Heat will destroy enzymes, raise the HMF factor, reduce the viscosity and density of the honey, along with destroying the sugar tolerant yeasts, and finally reduces the moisture content.

With these alterations to the honey then it alters the meaning of Pure Honey which is seen on the majority of labels.

Regards;

My honey is not heated in any way, and only goes through the sieve that came with my extractor. :cheers2:

Was it the novice class Veg?
I know what Bcrazy is talking about regards show quality honey.
I find the honey show way of preperation a little silly as its far removed from a good product.
The preperation of show honey takes away the products USP's.

I think its a shame as I am sure it puts many off showing.

Still maybe in time the forum could host its own show with classes for raw unheated honey as it should be..

Non of this grading glass rubbish.

This was an open category no labels. 2 judges tested for water content, clenlyness and "bits". Then about 40-50 people attended got to taste all 17 jars then picked their favourite honey. Nothing to technical just an association gathering. So although the judges had an input and marked for the above the public had a vote as well. The jars were also anonymous to the judges and everyone else. :cheers2:

Congrats Veg, the wider tasting / public involvement feels like a down to earth and audience engaging way to judge.

Congrats Veg, the wider tasting / public involvement feels like a down to earth and audience engaging way to judge.

I like that idea as well.

Veg you should feel proud if the public also did a taste test.

Still maybe in time the forum could host its own show with classes for raw unheated honey as it should be..

Non of this grading glass rubbish.

I agree!!! :cheers2:

Oh, and jolly well done Veg!

Last edited:
Many thanks for the congrats.

I think the way it was judged was by far the fairest way of doing it. After all why should it be down to just one or two people. We all know bee keepers have different opinions lol.:cheers2:

well done, VEG, and judged by the many, not the few, a proper win!!!

Well done, VEG!

Can you attach some honey to a new thread posting, please, so we can all try it?

Err . . ., it's been a long day.

Very well done indeed - congratulations! We tried at our local show, but didn't succeed - the "brightened" honeys won the prizes, so it's good to hear of a simple unheated, strained honey being selected.

Very well done indeed - congratulations! We tried at our local show, but didn't succeed - the "brightened" honeys won the prizes, so it's good to hear of a simple unheated, strained honey being selected.

:iagree::cheers2:

Latest posts

Back