I was given these.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
About one and a half yrs ago i was talking to one of my customers about 2 of my favorites past times ,fishing and beekeeping. He used to do both but give fishing up to continue with his bees but then stop keeping bees due to being very ill. He offered to look out any bee books that he had and give them to me and he also told me to go and have a look at his old hives and take anything i wanted. I was very grateful but declined the offer of the hives but said i would gladly read any books he had.
Shortly after this he went down hill and i did not mention the books again as i thought that he and his wife had more than enough to cope with. 2 months ago he died and it's always hard to say the right thing to your customers all though this happens a lot it still feels awkward.
On Friday when i visited there home and once i had finished working on there home his wife had a carrier bag in her hand. In this was 6 beekeeping books.
I was so grateful and explained to her that her husband was once going to look them out for me but due to illness could not.She was so pleased to offer them to me .

The books are :
A Case of hives by Len heath
H.O.N.E.Y from source to sale & showbench Jeff Rounce
Economical Beekeeping keep your overheads low Ron Brown (signed)
R.O.B. MANLEY Honey Farming
Pollen loads a colour guide to pollen loads of the honey bee
Bees and Beekeeping Irmgard Diemer

I have had a flick through one book and i have learnt something lol
The Nat hive of today is in fact a modified Nat . The original had a double wall
where the rebate now is.

thats a very nice gesture. I am sure his widow will get some consolidation in that some one else will get a benefit out of books that her husband once cherished.

A Case of hives by Len heath

A little old now but its still a good reference book.

If the pollen loads is by Dorothy Hodges and has full colour guides and is an original it's worth quite a lot.

it's by william D J Kirk
It goes into alot of Detail though UK plants only

I got left a load of stuff by an old beekeeper friend of mine... but the best thing he left me with was his favorite saying.....................

"You can not repay a favour, you can only pass it on"

Bless you Bill where ever you are

Bees and Beekeeping Irmgard Diemer

I bought this off ebay for a couple of quid and found it to be a surprisingly good read and surprisingly resilient too :D ; I left it on the car roof and found it slightly damp and half way down the village two days later. It dried out well and apart from a couple of scuffs is still perfectly usable.

Latest posts

Back