I want bees like Beckham

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Have I missed something here or got it wrong?
Read earlier this year that David Beckham had got a bee hive and was going to start beekeeping. Nothing unusual about that.
Fast forward only a few months and yesterday I read he is about to launch his own label honey.
Must have some very prolific bees

According to the i newspaper it will be organic honey. The bees must have been trained to avoid anything that has been treated with chemicals.

Have I missed something here or got it wrong?
Read earlier this year that David Beckham had got a bee hive and was going to start beekeeping. Nothing unusual about that.
Fast forward only a few months and yesterday I read he is about to launch his own label honey.
Must have some very prolific bees

It is called MARKETING..... most of the Royals seem to be in on the act!!

Chons da

Lets see if TS lets him get away with putting Organic on the label.

Trading Standards should take a close look at Mr Beckham's bees and honey.
My understanding is that you cannot label anything as organic unless it reaches the correct criteria. As bees forage up to 3 miles Mr Beckham needs to site his bees in the centre of a 3mile radius where all the crops and flowers are registered as organic. This is approx 28 square miles. I know he has a country estate but I do not believe he has bought an area of land that size and I also don't believe, even with his undoubted charm, that everyone is going to farm and garden organically in an area that large.
Therefore to call his honey organic is a false claim unless every jar/batch is rigorously tested for non organic residue.

Lay off the lad.

The press (well, "The Sun" - let's not give credit where it's not due) obviously have nothing better to do than write fiction about his potential honey branding etc... As if, really.

So he has a Flow Hive and is enjoying his "beekeeping" ? Good for him.

Good luck to DB in all he does. As a professional, he never ever gave less than 100% for club or country. Never. Also comes across as a genuine nice guy (if you overlook his human errings (Rebecca Loos and petulant donkey-kicks spring to mind)) and actually fairly humble and thankful, from what you hear. Obviously has been clued-up enough to surround himself with the right advisors to help him milk his celebrity and his looks/image to the max... but he also uses his profile to do lots of good work for charity (e.g. Unicef) and UK plc (e.g. Olympics and WC bids).

Top guy IMO, but I really don't think we'll be seeing his honey on sale, do you ?..... unless he does a Prince Charles and sells a few novelty jars at a ridiculous price, for charity.... which is, in all honesty, more likely.

Trading Standards should take a close look at Mr Beckham's bees and honey.
My understanding is that you cannot label anything as organic unless it reaches the correct criteria. As bees forage up to 3 miles Mr Beckham needs to site his bees in the centre of a 3mile radius where all the crops and flowers are registered as organic. This is approx 28 square miles. I know he has a country estate but I do not believe he has bought an area of land that size and I also don't believe, even with his undoubted charm, that everyone is going to farm and garden organically in an area that large.
Therefore to call his honey organic is a false claim unless every jar/batch is rigorously tested for non organic residue.
Our honey has been tested and does not have any non organic residues/ pesticides/ neonicotinamides etc etc...
can we call it organic?

Nice to see someone like Beck's join the humble ranks of an eccentric bunch of people. Even more chance to put natures local best produced food product in the eyes of the public via the media. My recent local sales are on the up though I doubt because of Mr Golden balls, I wish him well in his new hobby or maybe future job if he expands and no doubt he will when the lolly rolls in.

Though I doubt he will be as eccentric as I'm probably thought as, by my neighbours when I ride my bike with trailer in tow and worker boots to look at my out apiary bees.

Our honey has been tested and does not have any non organic residues/ pesticides/ neonicotinamides etc etc...
can we call it organic?
Where did you get it tested apple? as I've a few sites that are pesticide free,
One at random farm that would fall into the 3 mile radius.

Lay off the lad.

The press (well, "The Sun" - let's not give credit where it's not due) obviously have nothing better to do than write fiction about his potential honey branding etc... As if, really.

So he has a Flow Hive and is enjoying his "beekeeping" ? Good for him.

Good luck to DB in all he does. As a professional, he never ever gave less than 100% for club or country. Never. Also comes across as a genuine nice guy (if you overlook his human errings (Rebecca Loos and petulant donkey-kicks spring to mind)) and actually fairly humble and thankful, from what you hear. Obviously has been clued-up enough to surround himself with the right advisors to help him milk his celebrity and his looks/image to the max... but he also uses his profile to do lots of good work for charity (e.g. Unicef) and UK plc (e.g. Olympics and WC bids).

Top guy IMO, but I really don't think we'll be seeing his honey on sale, do you ?..... unless he does a Prince Charles and sells a few novelty jars at a ridiculous price, for charity.... which is, in all honesty, more likely.

He would be an asset to the Forum - maybe send him an invite?

Where did you get it tested apple? as I've a few sites that are pesticide free,
One at random farm that would fall into the 3 mile radius.
The UK honey survey.. someone will put up a link I am sure.
Trading Standards... a couple of years ago to set the standard pollen content for my area.
AND
on a few occasions asked for samples over the last 10 years or so, to go to Defra/Apha via Bee Inspector as a random sample of honey and comb for our area.

In each case you get a comprehensive report.

The UK honey survey.. someone will put up a link I am sure.
Trading Standards... a couple of years ago to set the standard pollen content for my area.
AND
on a few occasions asked for samples over the last 10 years or so, to go to Defra/Apha via Bee Inspector as a random sample of honey and comb for our area.

In each case you get a comprehensive report.

The link would be grand cheers.

No it’s irrelevant there’s no residues in your honey they need to foraging on organic certified land as well.
True.. and according to Soil Association.

Nearest would be possibly Portugal or Bulgaria?

Back