I told you so

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hardly surprising as it's become a bit trendy to have bees in the UK, simple supply and demand....as in increased demand and very good money for nucs.

OTOH a decline in people keeping bees leads to a decline in colonies, something that we have seen in France and until recently the UK.

Chris

Kate Humble syndrome leading to green exponentionallity in apiary expansionism I fear!

Last edited:
Hardly surprising as it's become a bit trendy to have bees in the UK, simple supply and demand....as in increased demand and very good money for nucs.

OTOH a decline in people keeping bees leads to a decline in colonies, something that we have seen in France and until recently the UK.

Chris

Trendy? Where? Accepted and even acceptable, but few people I know would consider it trendy.

Ah, statistics again - how we all love them! My hives have doubled since last year, but I had nil in 2007. So how does that fit in? Double nothing is not 2 :svengo:

Actually, figures show that only 37% of people love statistics, and that 61% of statistics are made up.

increasing logarithmetrically
10...100.... 1000...1000000 etc

thats to the base 10

or for the natural beekeeper to the base "e"

but for a correlative statistic you would need to deduct the number of people becoming past beekeepers.....

I'm sure PooBear comes into this somewhere, or is that thermodynamics?

Trendy? Where? Accepted and even acceptable, but few people I know would consider it trendy.

Is it not a trend? The current fashion? The direction in which it has gone? Become "popular"? In vogue? Complete "Bee kits" including bees?

Oh yes, from what I hear and read it has become trendy and there seem to be a large number of people profiting from it one way or another. Who knows it may even in some cases provoke a greater understanding of the natural world of which we are a part although I won't be holding my breath.

Chris

and I am dreading the swarm phone calls next year... Got 3-4 a week this year- from May onwards- with late March being the first and late Sept the last...

Reminder to self- must get more Nuc hives!!

increasing logarithmetrically
10...100.... 1000...1000000 etc

thats to the base 10

or for the natural beekeeper to the base "e"

but for a correlative statistic you would need to deduct the number of people becoming past beekeepers.....

I'm sure PooBear comes into this somewhere, or is that thermodynamics?

Ah, logarithmically. You keep making words up, like George W Bush or Two Jags John Prescott.
I still don't understand the influence of the delightful Kate Humble, mind.

Is it not a trend? The current fashion? The direction in which it has gone? Become "popular"? In vogue? Complete "Bee kits" including bees?

Oh yes, from what I hear and read it has become trendy and there seem to be a large number of people profiting from it one way or another. Who knows it may even in some cases provoke a greater understanding of the natural world of which we are a part although I won't be holding my breath.

Chris

So we can look forward to designer bee suits, then. I'm sure that will appeal to some people.

I still don't understand the influence of the delightful Kate Humble, mind.

the last time I saw her showing her bees on springwatch, her and the experienced beek were chatting about what they were expeting to see during the first spring inspection, then they took the roof off and found signs of a severe mite infestation.

I dont think her hive has been on the Tv since :rolleyes:

So we can look forward to designer bee suits, then. I'm sure that will appeal to some people.

I'm sure it will, along with the pretty multi coloured hives.

Chris

Now, now boys- as long as they are learning along the way it must be an improvement on total ignorance.....being embarrassed on National tv with a grot colony must have taught them something. :eek:

This doubling of hives is all very well but is there any chance that some of the band waggon trendies will have got bored and put the gear up for sale before I need to buy a couple more basic hive sets for some extra swarm management capacity next spring? FleaBay - so much more civilised than the Thornes sale ruck and maul.

More to the point, I'd love one of those omlett thingies as a bait hive :reddevil:

If it was this it didn't seem to bad.
Chris

I'm with you Chris, not so bad; and I wonder to what extent the discussion about varroa was 'staged' to make the piece educational for a wider audience?

I'll trust your judgments on that fella's, it was obviously a while since I saw the programme, I can't view the clip at work and wont have access to a computer that can view it untill the weekend :(

Latest posts

Back