I saw a bee today.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
First one I have seen flying for 2 days.

Unless they have been sneaking around behind my back...

It was -1˚ C this morning but some two or three hours later I saw 2 bumbles on the sedum in the garden and one now dead queen wasp in my conservatory

I saw a lot of bees today!

First one I have seen flying for 2 days.

Unless they have been sneaking around behind my back...

Removed the feeder from the TBH at mid-day today, they poured out and stayed out in the sun for quite awhile. About 12C in direct sunlight, not a cloud in the sky. A few flying but not far from hive and now probably hoping its the last disturbance until spring!
Regards
TBRNoTB

All of my colonies have been flying today to some degree and one was going absolutely mad flying. They were collecting water from nearby puddles.

collecting water from nearby puddles

A couple of possibilities here. There may be more but I doubt it.

First, unlikely, but they could still be storing fondant into the brood box?

Second, and much more likely, there is still an appreciable amount of uncapped brood, which obviously needs feeding, and no available nectar to make that feed.

Regards, RAB

Slight rise in temperature and a bit of sun and they are flying again today.

Even a bit of pollen coming in.

I see there are still some drones in one hive as well. Some walking, and some dead.

Not quite drones of the walking dead then.

Often when there is a mild period the bees take the opportunity to get out as singletons. Mostly the sight of the dead bodies kicked out onto the landing board is the more persistent sign of activity.

Quite a pile of rubbish they thew out today. Only a couple from the other hive tho.

Latest posts

Back