I need to dig a hole...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
...and, so I can work between it and a wall, I need to move a hive for the day. If close them up tonight, move them in the morning and put them back and open them mid afternoon should they be ok. I have OMFs.
Neil
BIAB

...and, so I can work between it and a wall, I need to move a hive for the day. If close them up tonight, move them in the morning and put them back and open them mid afternoon should they be ok. I have OMFs.
Neil
BIAB
Make sure you really seal it well and strap the boxes tightly. A slipped box could ruin your entire day ;-)

If you haven't moved them yet be sure to put a screen across the entrance so they can still cool the hive, maybe even put a screen on top and set the cover crosswise. And place them in the shade.
If you have the equipment you could add another box with empty comb so the fieldbees have a place to cluster away from the brood and not be in the way.

Best to ignore whatever I just said. I did more research on abbreviations and realized what OMF means and that that you have topbar hives, possibly not warree so nothing would apply except for putting them in the shade.

Best to ignore whatever I just said. I did more research on abbreviations and realized what OMF means and that that you have topbar hives, possibly not warree so nothing would apply except for putting them in the shade.
It's November here - only thing they may need is shelter from the rain.

Sometimes JBM's comments are just the pits... but only a miner problem!
Yeghes da :cheers2:

Weak. Oh very weak, Oh fortnight......(what we used to yell out in the scouts if someone told an execrable joke round the camp fire.)
BTW, anyone else know this phrase? I've not come across it ever since.

Weak. Oh very weak, Oh fortnight......(what we used to yell out in the scouts if someone told an execrable joke round the camp fire.)
BTW, anyone else know this phrase? I've not come across it ever since.
Once upon a time in me yoof..., between NHS contracts I would work on the lump.... we had one site foreman who would yell ...

who made this fortnightly tea... too weak!!

Chons da

Leave it till the Spring.. the hole will only fill up with water!

Chons da :cheers2:
Thats advice I'd love to follow. Ho hum - done now. It's for a pleached lime tree I'm hoping will raise their flight paths above or away from a neighbours upstairs window.

It's November here - only thing they may need is shelter from the rain.

Wow! It's November here too, will wonders never cease. I thought we put them in boxes and put lids on the hives to keep the rain out.
You're one of those 'modern' beekeepers with all those 'new fangled ideas' aren't you.
Unless this whole forum goes kaput someone will read this during hot weather.
We just finished up with a week of 70° F weather so the bees are not in a tight cluster yet so jostling them about won't harm them much at all.

Unless this whole forum goes kaput someone will read this during hot weather.
Not really the point is it ? the OP asked for advice about shutting up the bees now so pretty useless wittering about putting them in the shade - in fact, it is rather misleading. Maybe they should just take heed of the first bit of 'advice' you gave?
Best to ignore whatever I just said.

Latest posts

Back