I need to beg, borrow, or steal..........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackm

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
an extractor. New to beekeeping (bought a working hive from Mike in May) and have two national supers to extract. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy an extractor, and don't have the time to build one. Can anybody tell me where I can hire or borrow one? I'm situated near Southend.

Jack

I need to beg, borrow, or steal........an extractor.

You do not strictly need one. There are other methods of extracting honey; scraping comes to mind but ymmv.

One hive. I would be leaving a full super on for the winter, if I were a new beek (which I am not). Saves time and the aggravation of getting the feeding regime correct in your first season. Leaves plenty of stores and space.

You may already have a full super on the hive which you are not going to extract, but I am guessing, as you are asking, that you have not. Am I right or wrong?

Regards, RAB

If you cannot borrow a spinner then go for the crush and strain method.
If you have wired foundation then just scrape each frame down to the foundation rather than cut out the whole frame.

If it was me I would take both supers for extraction and feed the hive with sugar,but not everyone does.

Video here

I have one- too big to bus to you- but if you want to bring frames here, extract and take honey back in buckets, your very welcome. Just North of Brighton

Latest posts

Back