I have to move my three hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg1967

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have to move my three hives in an out apiary that I am using. It’s the last thing I want to do with the weather we are having I don’t want to put any more stress on than but have no choice

but have no choice

Well then just get on with it. No point in not if it must be done.

Not really sure why you are telling us, just do it.

Should not bee any real problem

Bees will be in cluster in present cold conditions... no need for a travel screen if you keep the heater OFF in the car !

Good Luck

Shouldn't be any problem moving as long as you move them gently, minimising bumps and bangs.
Shutting them in for a few days after moving shouldn't be a problem.

But, being further away, you need to be sure that they have plenty stores.

Well sorry I thought this was a site where if we need help then there would be some one that would have some good advice but then I guess like any place there are grumpy people that don’t want to help but thanks to all that have replied with Good advise

Well sorry I thought this was a site where if we need help then there would be some one that would have some good advice but then I guess like any place there are grumpy people that don’t want to help but thanks to all that have replied with Good advise

Greg, welcome to the forum ...

But, for the future, if you want to ask for advice ... its good to actually ask the question!
Your thread-starting post was just the simple statement that this was going to happen.
If you'd gone on to ask "What advice can you folk offer me about moving hives at this time of the year?", then maybe you wouldn't have got the sarcastic replies.
Just a suggestion! ;)

Unless some have been removed by admin I can't see any grumpy replies. I think people are simply saying if it has to be done then whatever the consequences you have to go ahead, advice seemed fair!
Best of luck and let us know how it went
E

Can't see a problem moving them at the moment.
Advice to go gently and make sure they are well fed is fair. At least you can move them at any time of the day as they will not be flying.

Which part of this fine but currently arctic county are you in?
Cazza

I moved 3 hives seventy miles on Sunday. I was as gentle as possible, blocked the entrance with foam, got them home about 4, left them blocked till about 5 to settle and aclimatise after the warmer van ride, removed the foam and didnt see a bee.
Quickly stuck a bag of fondant on top of the frames yesterday and bees seemed happy and ok. Time will tell.

Pete D

No not on this forum.

Good luck with the move. If your near the Norfolk boarder and you need a hand I'm free from Friday through to Sunday. You can PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved 3 hives seventy miles on Sunday. I was as gentle as possible, blocked the entrance with foam, got them home about 4, left them blocked till about 5 to settle and aclimatise after the warmer van ride, removed the foam and didnt see a bee.
Quickly stuck a bag of fondant on top of the frames yesterday and bees seemed happy and ok. Time will tell.
That's a strategy. It could be safer than moving bees a short distance. They get an hour or two in a warmish van. They're active but get a chance to cluster again as it cools later. The danger, as reported from previous years locally, is that while moving in winter you can shake a cluster enough to break it without the bees being warm enough to reform - separating bees from a cluster without a chance to get back is what kills.

Greg if you are moving them less than three miles it will be an advantage to move them now rather than when they are flying regularly any time soon. Although it will take them a bit of time to fly long distances.

Last edited:
if moving by car make sure the frames are running fore to aft, so they do not swing as you brake, even if they are likely to be well propolised at this point in time

Last edited:
if moving by car make sure the frames are running fore to aft, so they do not swing as you brake, even if they are likely to be well propolised at this point in time

Yes, if you aren't using hoffmans... :)

even hoffmans will swing cos of the gap at the bottom! Unless you've got 12 frames jammed in!

Yorkshire spacers were once popular amongst the heather men !
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

even hoffmans will swing cos of the gap at the bottom! Unless you've got 12 frames jammed in!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not if you use a dummy board to keep the frames tight and if your screen board has a wooden crosspiece holding down all the topbars

Latest posts

Back