I have 2 problem hives to sort out soon! Advice wanted please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffDale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One hive is completely queenless and has no brood.

How do you go about sorting out a queen this late in the year?

I have a 5 frame nuc arriving later this week. Im thinking of uniting the queenless hive with the nuc.

The nuc will be about a mile away from the queenless hive. Will it be ok to unite the bees a mile away from the queenless site?

Hope this makes sense!

Any suggestions / advice to put this right before winter arrives.

Thanks

Cliff

It's late in the year for a nuc....
One option is to move the queenless colony to the apiary where the nuc will be and hope you don't lose too many bees in the process - a mile is not far. . Then unite once the nuc has been on site in its own hive for a few days. There won't be a huge benefit in uniting as the queenless colony has oldish bees we assume but it will definitely help the nuc out. However you have other colonies - there are ther options to you.

Why is the nuc a 'problem' hive. You haven't received it yet!!!!???

I am picking up the nuc on Thursday.

I am moving my apiary a mile away from the site now. The current site is in woodland and is dark and gloomy.

The new site is in the open and closer to town and villages.

You will have lots of problems if only moving your site a mile. You will have to move the bees over three miles for a while then back to your intended site.

Latest posts

Back